Austin HB Full Sail Wassail - Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linux20

Reaction score
New to this home brewing thing. Just built myself a keezer and kegged my first beer. Hopefully it will come out great. It is an Altbier and spent about 7 days in primary, and 4 weeks in secondary, then kegged.

So, onto my next beer, a clone of Wassail, it has been in the primary for a little over two weeks and bubbled pretty well for about 10 days, now has stopped bubbling and directions say to put into secondary for 5-7 days.

Question: With this high a ABV beer OG was 1.068 should I just let it age in the primary, put it in a secondary for like two months, then keg or go right to keg and let it age?

With whatever option at what temp should I let it age?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Bill

For bigger beers I always use 2-3 weeks primary and bulk age in the keg for 3-4 weeks. There is no reason to rack 2 seperate times and risk oxidation. It takes a while for the yeast to clean up after themselves in the primary. Then I rack to the keg for clearing and bulk aging. Most big beers get better with age especially darker beers like Wassail. I have a winter warmer that I developed that is great at 3 months. I would keep the temperature at the low end of the fermentation range for aging, or at least within the fermentation range.

Back