Screw cap bottles okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevesbeer

Reaction score
I've been told not to use screw cap bottles...I did anyway and aside from one that went skunky, I'm enjoying my first Porter without a bottle opener. Am I just lucky or should I be using different caps? or should I really not use them?

I'm still a n00b, but I've read 2 books and been scouring this forum and other sites, and everything I've read says, "never use twist offs."

There is a lot of discussion on this.

Many people have successfully re-used screw tops, even though the books say not to.

Not sure why it would matter either way, because you shouldn't be drinking your beer out of a bottle anyway.

Don't do it again. There are several reasons for the consensus on the question:

The glass on twist-off bottles is much thinner than those intended to be recappable.

It's impossible to get a consistent airtight seal on twist-off bottles using a wing-capper. It can be done with a bench capper, but the force required puts you at a high risk for breaking the bottle.

Wow...I used a hand capper and was careful. Im ready to bottle an IPA I did from scratch and don't to lose a drop. Hmm.....maybe I was just lucky?

The general concensus on the 100 previous threads about this topic is that you can do it, but why would you risk your beer on something so risky? Sure you can do it, but why would you?

"Brew Ware, how to find, adapt and build homebrewing equipment" by Lutzen and Stevens says that it is fine. Many, many other books say it isn't. I think if it works for you, they're fine, just not ideal. How's that for an ambiguous answer.:D

Back