Force Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
I'm kegging my beer Friday and have until the following Friday to serve it. Since I have about 6-7 days to carbonate what is the best way. Should I just set the PSI to 10-12 and just let it sit?....or should I just set it up to 30 PSI for a day or two and then let it settle that way I have time to taste and adjust accordingly? I'm not in a hurry I just want to do it the best way.

The best way is set and forget. Look at a temp/carb chart to determine what levels you want, set the co2 at that amount, and leave it. It should be ready in about a week.

Sometimes when I'm in a rush, I will force carb (30 psi, cold beer, shake and roll) for 4 min., vent, and use the set and forget to get it the rest of the way. This usually takes only a couple days.

If you only have a week, you definitely want to let it sit at 30psi at least overnight before you purge and dial it back to 12 (or whatever the chart says). The chart or "set and forget" pressure takes a good 2 weeks.

I'd either do the 30psi overnight and let it sit at serving for the rest of the week. Or I'd chill, set to 12psi, rock for about 5-10 minutes then leave it for a week.

Back