Thank goodness for color changing beer label mountains!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I have a hard time telling when beer is cold. I mean, hot - cold... cold - hot. IT'S SO CONFUSING!!!!

I'm just so glad that the fine folks at Coors have the color changing labels to tell me when the beer is cold... otherwise I'd never know.

Well, they had to do that because BMC tastes like $hit smells. Otherwise, you wouldn't know when it's ready!

Well, they had to do that because BMC tastes like $hit smells. Otherwise, you wouldn't know when it's ready!

Don't get why there is so much coors bashing on here:)

Personally, I love coors - and think as far as the big three go they are by far the best. I homebrew, yes, but I always will drink a coors. Can not beat the rocky mountain spring water! :rockin:

I agree. Without those mountains I'd be lost. I don't understand why other breweries don't have these labels I mean how am I supposed to know whether my beer is cold. What am I a scientist?

I find myself drinking other beers and wondering if they're cold enough because the label didn't change.

I figured out that you can peel the labels off and use packing tape to affix it to my home brews. Worked great for my budweiser clamato clone I just made!

I think they should have those labels aon all BMC. That way we know it is cold enough to numb the taste buds. Otherwise we might actually taste the beer an realize that it has no flavor and that is what their brewers strive for.

I wonder if most people could actually tell the difference between most light beer. My guess is no. It is brewed to have little or no flavor so it appeals to as many people as possible. To bad they don't focus more energy and money on making good beer instead of advertising or they might actually be able to make good beer.

I wonder if most people could actually tell the difference between most light beer. My guess is no. It is brewed to have little or no flavor so it appeals to as many people as possible. To bad they don't focus more energy and money on making good beer instead of advertising or they might actually be able to make good beer.

Well, I can tell a difference in taste between Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light....

And just what defines a "good" beer, may I ask?

Well, I can tell a difference in taste between Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light....

And just what defines a "good" beer, may I ask?

This is about to get entertaining. I've settled in.

edith_bowman_465x370.jpg

I have nothing to say about the taste of Coors Light...

But I love how they not only have the color changing labels, they also come in a box where you can see the labels through a window. The only time I think this would be of some use would be when you take it home from the grocery store. Assuming your fridge works then the mountains will stay blue forever.

I wonder if most people could actually tell the difference between most light beer. My guess is no.

You haven't seen Beer Wars have you? The do a blind taste test of BMC drinkers and none of them can tell their drink of choice apart from the others but beforehand they all insist that they only like the one brand and can tell the difference.

Let's not forget about the Cold-Activation Window!
Coors%20Light%20Cold%20Activation%20Window.jpg

"When you want a beer that's a cold as the Rockies..."
.... put it in the fridge?

When I was stationed in Arizona in the Army back in the early 1980's, the PX carried Sapporo minikegs with a color changing label. When warm it had a red label with a frowning face and the text "please refrigerate". When cold the label turned blue with a smiley face that had the text "Time to drink!"

Nothing new here, folks. Again we have been beaten to the draw.

But I love how they not only have the color changing labels, they also come in a box where you can see the labels through a window. The only time I think this would be of some use would be when you take it home from the grocery store. Assuming your fridge works then the mountains will stay blue forever.

I'm a huge printing nerd ( went to college for printing, work in printing etc) so I think this is really cool. From what I know, this is the first widespread commercial application of thermochromatic ink on a food/beverage package. Thermochormatic inks come in all sorts of temp ranges and colors. This one apparently happens to be relatively clear above about 40°F and turn blue below that. Since the ink is printed on the can, obviously it really doesn't guage the temp of the liquid inside. If you were to take a case of warm ones, and dunk them in a cooler of ice water, the mountains would turn blue pretty quickly, and you would still have warm beer.

Be polite when talking about BMC. It's nice to hear when a BMC drinker says "Wow, that's great beer!' when trying one of my home brews that I thought was mediocre.

If you were to take a case of warm ones, and dunk them in a cooler of ice water, the mountains would turn blue pretty quickly, and you would still have warm beer.
Those Trickers!

The trouble is they don't seem to stick to the Miller vortex bottles I put my bud light lime clone in...... ;)

I know! That's what I love most about miller! The vortex really helps you taste the triple hops brew for the great pilsner taste.

I enjoy Coors myself. We lived in Denver for 2 years and I enjoyed visiting the mother brewery in Golden, CO. I always enjoy learning about about history of the old west. Coors Banquet (regular Coors) gained the name because Adolph Coors put on a banquet (food and beer) for the Rocky Mountain miners when they came out of the mountains to the big city, Denver.
Each employee of Coors gets two beers free each day they work. The Coors brewery was built directly on Clear Creek which drains snowmelt from the Rocky Mountains. If you drive 40 minutes West of Golden you can go whitewater raft on Clear Creek. I remember I man dying rafting the Clear Creek river around 2006. He died of a heart attack when he fell into the cold water....
I love local history.

I wonder how long it took to calibrate the label so it would turn blue the exact moment it "is as cold as the rockies"?

I have arrived at the conclusion of: If your beer tastes like crap at 50F or warmer, your beer tastes like crap. The cold is used to mask this fact.

I will say that BMC does have the best replication procedures and super strict quality control standards, so at least they are consistent.

I enjoy Coors myself. We lived in Denver for 2 years and I enjoyed visiting the mother brewery in Golden, CO. I always enjoy learning about about history of the old west. Coors Banquet (regular Coors) gained the name because Adolph Coors put on a banquet (food and beer) for the Rocky Mountain miners when they came out of the mountains to the big city, Denver.
Each employee of Coors gets two beers free each day they work. The Coors brewery was built directly on Clear Creek which drains snowmelt from the Rocky Mountains. If you drive 40 minutes West of Golden you can go whitewater raft on Clear Creek. I remember I man dying rafting the Clear Creek river around 2006. He died of a heart attack when he fell into the cold water....
I love local history.

I've pissed in that river. Enjoy your Coors

Back in the day before I knew what good beer was I could drink damn near anything but Coors Light. There is some off flavor that STILL gets to me everytime I taste one. A buddy of mines father swore to me that I could not tell which is which in a blind taste test. I could easily taste the difference, it leaves me with a horrible aftertaste everytime. I wish I could pin it down enough to know what it is...so I made sure to never accidentally brew it...

A buddy of mines father swore to me that I could not tell which is which in a blind taste test. I could easily taste the difference, it leaves me with a horrible aftertaste everytime.
It's been shown that BMC folk who are die-hard fans of one brand can't tell the difference between the three in a blind taste-test. Have you actually done this or are you just boasting?

I wish I could pin it down enough to know what it is...so I made sure to never accidentally brew it...
As flavorless and bland as BMCs are, the "Light American Lager" category is actually one of the most difficult styles to brew. They are so light and low is extreme flavors that off-flavors can show their ugly heads. The styles we brew most likely cover up these BMC off-flavors (what I know exactly of which you speak)

You haven't seen Beer Wars have you? The do a blind taste test of BMC drinkers and none of them can tell their drink of choice apart from the others but beforehand they all insist that they only like the one brand and can tell the difference.

Well, I'm sure part of that has to do with the magic of editing - if I were to see it live with 10 customers in a row, I'd be sold. They're not going to show you the people that got it right.

That said, I'm not a fan of BMC beers but I can enjoy a High Life from time to time. I never buy 'em, but if somebody has them at their house, I will partake. Call it a beer seltzer. Not a Coors, a Lite, Bud, etc., I'll prefer a nice coffee instead. Just a matter of taste.

After brewing my own light lagers for a while I find that BMC tastes like flavored water. Just curious if anyone else reached that conclusion?

Back