Noob grower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I harvested about 5 pounds of Cascades from my first-year vines, and I'm wondering if it is acceptable practice to put them in my food dehydrator and then store them in the freezer until use?

Food dehydrators will work, but make sure it's on the lowest setting. I'm pretty stunned you got 5lbs. from a new plant. How many plants were there? I average about 2-3 lbs out of each of mine and they've been growing for years.

I started 9 plants last winter in the house from rhizomes. They took off like hell this summer! I had them growing up 8 foot strings, and they doubled over! I'd really like to add some variety in the coming years. I would love to grow some Amarillo and Simcoe. I use those two varieties the most.

Amarillo and simcoe are "propietary" and not for sale.

I grow cascades, and hallertauer and am thinking about adding centennial next year.

I got 16 ounces (dried) last year from one cascade plant, and 26 ounces this year. The rhizomes are now about 3 years old.

Back