Honey + Anchor Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akardam

Reaction score
can anyone predict the output of this kind of honey porter?

combining the outstanding properties of the fine porter beer by Anchor (clone) with the aromatics of honey....

can anyone brain storm with me on this recipe? seems to me a :rockin: autumn project!

cheers mates!
andre

There is a great discussion about using honey going on in this thread:

Any tips on using honey?

The biggest contribution from honey will be sugars. Any sugar acts to thin the body, produce more alcohol and dry out a beer. Not all bad things, but possibly not the best for a porter. One poster suggested adding in the honey when you have the wort cooled to around 150 to preserve honey aroma.

A good experiment would be to get some good mead and blend it with the beer you intend to make with honey. This might give you some indication on how the actual beer would turn out.

Thanks for the advice.

I checked out the blog and noted that honey malt can be used for the honey aroma.

The thing is that I can really correlate a honey aftertaste with the porter (anchor) aftertaste.

I wonder if adding honey at the bottling phase as a primer will get the aromas in there without thining the full-body of the porter beer... hmm

andre

I think some people do that with limited success. The thing about priming sugar is that you add so little, it really doesn't influence the flavor, no matter what you use. I think Revvy mentioned in that thread to use the darkest, or most fragrant honey you can find. Off the shelf clover honey probably wouldn't cut it.

Back