apfelwein mutant... (verges on hooch, just an experiment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duneman101

Reaction score
So i know this is on the verge of a hooch thread, but it was more of an experiment, because i have 5 gal of the real apfelwien brewing and a couple batches of mead, so i was real bored and wanted to make a mess. This apfelwien mutant/abortion has really blossomed into something beautiful well not really beautiful, but kinda like the hot cheerleaders older sister that couldn't get a date to the prom so when she was a senior and you were a freshman you took her to prom, well actually she took you to prom because you didn't have a license to drive yet (sorry i got lost in memories for a minute). remember this was an experiment not a cheap A$$ way of making prison hooch. but at the same time i have a gallon of sweet nectar from the brew gods for like 6 dollars. AMAZING..

recipe

1 gallon wally world brand apple juice from concentrate no additives.
8 oz white table sugar
16 oz dark brown sugar
6 oz grade b dark amber maple syrup
1 package flieschmans fast rising bread yeast
TEMP 60-65 f

So i knew this was a budget/goof around project....

#1 dump about a quart of the apple juice in to clean pot (low heat) warming on the stove, add sugars and syrup, stir until completley disolved and liquid.

#2 add fliechmans to about a cup of apple juice. set asside for 10-15 min until nice bubbley frothy layer has built up on top.

#3 remove aproximatly one cup of apple juice and drink this is for head room.

#4 add warm sugar/syrup mixture directly to apple juice jug. replace cap and shake it like its a crying baby. (2-3 min)

#5 add yeast mixtured to jug. replace cap shake it like a crying baby again. (5 min) let sit in 80 degree water bath for first couple hours.

#6 punch hole in another juice jug cap and silicone airlock in center. let it sit and happily bubble away. SIDE NOTE:: it stinks up the house, which makes SWMBO naggy and more irritated than usual

#7 on day 3 replace airlock with cap and shake out all gas, put airlock back on and let sit. repeat on day 6.

tasted on day 10, juice is clear, like before it was contaminated with other ingredients. tastes boozey like kissing a whino, but strong hot alcohol is over come by maple apple and some kind of woody taste about half way down. it is awsome on day 10....day 15 this must have been some kind of spring micacle. it is better, than day 10. i put down about 20 oz in 5 minutes, teeth went numb unusually fast for a person of my siz and tolerance. Started another batch that night 2 gallons this time. hopefully lightning strikes again.

you are right. You're bordering on Prison Hooch. You are not even looking at the cousin of a friend of the hot cheerleaders sister. You should be punished for even referring to this as Apfelwein.
HOWEVER.
You are not tooooo far from making a fair wine. If you check the wine recipe database, you'll see that you are on the right track (With some guidance) to making a decent apple based wine. For future reference, DON't use fast rise yeast. It's been grown to make lots of CO2 not to effectively convert sugar to alcohol. IF you must use grocery store yeast, use the plain bread yeast and rehydrate prior to pitching.

like i said, it was an experiment only, and i wouldn't have used bread yeast at all, but i was looking though the JOAM recipe and figured it might work out... and it just happened to... i will definetly look for the recipe for that apple based whine though... that sounds good.

Back