Mr. Beer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I had a quick question about Mr. Beer. Please, I don't want anyone telling me how Mr. Beer is crap and I should "grow up" and buy a "big boy kit." Now, my question is about the fermentor. I'd like to try my hand at making hard cider so that my girlfriend doesn't see my beer making hobby as a waste of space. The Mr. Beer kit comes with a dark brown fermenting keg, but the hard cider comes with a clear keg. So the ultimate question is:

Can I make hard cider in a dark keg?

Thanks for the quick and painless response! I didn't think it would but I wanted to make sure cider didn't need more light or some b.s. like that.

i made some this saturday in mr mr beer keg. all it has been used for thus far.

i have a local orchard. 2 gals of cider, temp corrected ended up @ .1064 OG with nothing added. check this morning, 1.022, bublin' away.

i used red star premier cuvee yeast, so i think i screwed up.... gonna be a dry arse cider.

good luck, check out the cider forum for better yeast choices, i did after the fact. woops!

I'm glad BK, I'm tired of hearing people badmouth Mr. Beer. If I had the room to do it, I would do AG in a heartbeat. Mr. Beer is good for what it is, let's just leave it at that.

I'm glad BK, I'm tired of hearing people badmouth Mr. Beer. If I had the room to do it, I would do AG in a heartbeat. Mr. Beer is good for what it is, let's just leave it at that.

I just tasted a year old MR Beer Pumpkin Porter I brewed...the last thing I ever did with the kit ingredients...It was rather tasty Not my best beer but not my worst either...

I've gone out of my way to post a lot of good info on the mr beer thread, including taking some "big boy" recipes and tailoring it for the mr beer, AND I put together a little primer on All Grain Stovetop brewing in the mr beer...

I try to remind folks, that it isn't the ingredients, it's the brewer that makes good beer AND that you don't have to use MR BEER ingredients in your keg...it is a handly little 2.5 gallon fermenter that can fit easily in a fridge if someone wanted to try their hand at lagering.

:mug:

Same questions sorta over here:

My neighbor gave us the mr. beer keg and also the upright mini one. Never wanted to do beer in it, cause 2.5 gallons just won't cut it around my household. However, I have since had 2.5 gallons of pomegranate-mango wine fermenting away.

Has anyone ever used their mr. beer to make wine? And if so, what were your steps? And, how'd it turn out?

Mine started at 1.099, re-racked it this weekend (7 days) at 1.033. I could finally keep an airlock on it and it blurbs every 5 seconds like clock work. I plan to just leave it for another month, re-rack and leave for another month. Then bottle and age for a year.

I may make some hard cider for x-mas time in the mini...any good recipes?

Thanks, MT

I have use mine to make apfelwein and sometime i still use it to do small batches of beer. as revvy has stated it is small so it is perfect for lagering. i am working on my bigboy setup to go all grain but i have been doing 5gal extract with steeping grains kits from ahs in my carboys. mrbeer is a great stepping stone into the hobby and if it works for you then keep doing it. you don't have to have all the big stuff to make good beer.

I've been using Mr. Beer to brew the Cooper's kits and so far so good. I've got a chocolate stout that two weeks away from bottling and it smells GREAT right now.

All I can add is what I learned from the good people on this forum. Throw the Mr. Beer instructions away. Let your beer sit longer than the week they recommend. Basically, do everything with Mr. Beer you would with a larger carboy, but cut all the ingredients by a third, or whatever proportions you're working with.

Oh and you might want to replace the plastic tap. I'm gonna do that for the next batch. Dear god bottling is slow right now.

-WW

Back