Forgot to take reading with hydrometer- is this a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loughbrew

Reaction score
I am new to brewing, moved my latest project to primary this morning but i forgot to take a measurement with my hydrometer. should i go back and try to draw some out of my carboy or just not worry about it? I also ended up with less than 5 gallons, should i try and top off?

I wouldn't add water to top off now, unless you wanted to take a hydrometer reading and see if you should add water. What I mean is, I'd probably take a reading and if it's low, then add water to the 5 gallons. I wouldn't just add water now, though, without taking the reading.

Most of the time with canned extract kits, I don't bother with the hydrometer readings until I think the fermentation is over. Actually, I quite frequently forget to take Original Gravity readings. Only if you *need* to have an alcohol content for your beer do you need it.

I would just assume it is fine and wait one week or so and then take a hydrometer reading to make sure it is below 1.010. It will be alcohol, but you just won't know how potent it is since you didn't get the original gravity. If it gets you buzzed who cares if you know the exact alcohol content, right?

I am new to brewing, moved my latest project to primary this morning but i forgot to take a measurement with my hydrometer. should i go back and try to draw some out of my carboy or just not worry about it? I also ended up with less than 5 gallons, should i try and top off?
not nessasarly and no

Back