Very sad time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Our brewery namesake, Jackie, was put to sleep this weekend. This was absolutely one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do and, for the wife and I, the recovery time is not going to be short. There's a little more info under the "Namesake" link on our web page below if anyone is interested.

Aw, damn, man, I'm sorry. That's just the worst. I'll definitely raise a pint tonight to him. I didn't even know the guy, but my heart sank when I read your farewell. We're here for ya.

You have my deepest sympathies. Losing a pet can be very hard, so don't feel like you need to rush the grieving process just b/c Jackie was not a human.

I'll hoist a pint in his honor.

I've posted this link before. Others I have spoken to, that have had to make that difficult decision, told me that they found it affirming.

http://www.slate.com/id/2090327/

To love dogs is to know death and to accept that there's never a time we are more morally obliged to speak for them than when they face the end of their lives.

I know there is a day that I will be reading the Katz column with the burden of responsibilty and I do not look forward to it.

My best to you.

Sorry about your loss, I've yet to lose a dog that I've really grown attached to yet, but I do have 4 dogs now and one is close to 11. i suspect I will understand a little better soon. It's crazy how attached you get to your pets, they really become friends.

I'm sorry for your loss.
Losing a pet is always hard but it sounds like Jackie was very special to you.
I will most certainly hoist one for you and Jackie.

Tough breaks man. We had to put one of ours down this past year. Ain't easy, to be sure.

While not as eloquent as the article by Mr. Katz mentioned above, I've always thought that this quote said the same thign in fewer words.

When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog.
--Robert A. Heinlein

Had a hell of a time getting the vet to understand: I push the plunger on the needle or I find a new vet.

As a dog owner, I think we need to make sure we keep ourselves grounded from time to time and stop thinking about them as children who should some day bury us (or dig us up, depending on the dog and their love of digging).

Dogs are lucky in that we can say "It's time" and they can go in a painless, peaceful manner. How many of us would prefer that our loved one could tell our doctor the same thing, should we find ourselves in a terminal situation? Put yourself in their paws: would you prefer prolonging the inevitable or to go out while you still have the ability to say "Goodbye".

I don't think that many living creatures fear death as much as they fear the loneliness caused by the absence of those we love. I don't fret my own death but I'm saddened by the loss of time I'll have with my son and family. I'm not afraid of my dog dying, I'm afraid of how my life will be less joyful when she's gone.

You may believe your dog to go on to "Doggy Heaven" or that great Indian "Happy Hunting Ground". My belief is that nature is too efficient to not recycle life. So think about your dog not as ending, but as having a chance to begin again. Even though I'm an agnostic, I have a feeling that life happens more than once and sometimes if someone is really good in life and really does something the karmically prove themselves worthy of a reward, that being gets to come back in their next form as a dog. I can't imagine much better than the life of a dog that's loved and brought into a family as a member, not just a pet.

Sorry to hear that, Nate. I know you and C loved that dog with all your heart.

Ah Nate, I'm sorry about Jackie. When I first joined HBT I just happened to click on the link in your sig and "met" your Brewerys' namesake. He was a beautiful dog. I'm sorry about your loss.

Ize

i had to put my be best friend down a couple years ago(congenital liver failure)
i don't think ive ever cried like that before or since. may you find peace inn your heart and another dog in your life when rready.:)

Appreciate all the replies and all the support. It was also hard because it happened on a Sunday so we had to take him to an unfamiliar animal hospital. We must have been a sight... the wife and I crying like little girls carrying him into a full waiting room. We heard several gasps and the whole room got quiet when we got there. I consider myself a pretty strong guy but you could have knocked me over with a good gust of wind. Thanks again for all the great words of advice and your heart felt thoughts. The people on this board are awesome.

Nate said:
Appreciate all the replies and all the support. It was also hard because it happened on a Sunday so we had to take him to an unfamiliar animal hospital. We must have been a sight... the wife and I crying like little girls carrying him into a full waiting room. We heard several gasps and the whole room got quiet when we got there. I consider myself a pretty strong guy but you could have knocked me over with a good gust of wind. Thanks again for all the great words of advice and your heart felt thoughts. The people on this board are awesome.

That just breaks my heart, man. I'd be in the exact same boat (and I'm sure I will be some day). I adore my dogs, and when they go, I don't know how I'll be able to deal. I'm an emotionally strong guy too, but dogs just have a way of taking a special place in your life.

Again, our thoughts are with you and your family, and there's a pint waiting at home for Jackie tonight.

I'm sorry to hear the news. It's always tough to lose a member of the family, especially one as loyal, trusting, loving and non-judgemental as a dog.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Jackie, but I'm sure he was a great dog and I will toast to his honor this evening. Hang in there ...

I'm sorry to hear about Jackie. I don't know you, and I didn't know Jackie, but I do know what it is to love a dog the way you obivously loved him, and how badly it hurts to say goodbye.

My best to you and your wife.

Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel-heartbroken.

Our Bear died in February, she was two weeks shy of 15 years. She was a beautiful black Husky/Chow mix that we got just after we were married and before kids.
She was loyal, protective of the kids, and a great companion-really part of the family. I buried her in our backyard next to our garden.

Afterwards, the kids kept clamoring for a puppy. So in May or June we picked up a new puppy-Duke. After 15 years, I almost forgot how much work a puppy can be sometimes. He's a crazy Shepherd/Elkhound/Lab/Poodle mix and he is also solid black. He is now 8 months old and has quickly grown a place in our hearts, but I still sometimes call him Bear without thinking.

It does help to get another dog after losing one. Not to replace the old dog, but to fill that void when the old companion has moved on.

I'm so sorry you lost your friend. Time is the only thing that makes it easier.

I'll tip back 2 pints in honor of your friend.

Nate said:
Our brewery namesake, Jackie, was put to sleep this weekend. This was absolutely one of the hardest things that I've ever had to do and, for the wife and I, the recovery time is not going to be short. There's a little more info under the "Namesake" link on our web page below if anyone is interested.

Sorry to hear the news. Dogs are special critters. They bring a little bit of joy into each day. Unfortunately you never get over the death of one. Sigh. I'm sure Jackie was one the best.
Mike

EdWort said:
I read about your namesake over a year ago from a link here at HBT. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. We have two dogs & two horses (one dog is 12 and one horse is 22), so we'll be there eventually.

I highly recommend this book. Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lovers Story of Joy and Anguish.

Regards,

Ed

First, thanks again to everyone for all the posts. The wife only got through a couple before she had to take a break and it took me some time to get through them also. More than one person has recommended the book above and I'll definitely pick up a copy soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow I missed this thread until today...sorry to hear about Jackie. Indead, raising a pint in Jackie's memory as I type.

SWMBO and I had to put our 7 month old pup down last fall. She had a congenital heart defect and we always knew the day would come. Although it was one of my toughest days, I know it was the right choice for her.

my roomate's family pup got the cancer and passed a couple of days ago. i'll go grab a brew now and raise a pint to her and Jackie.

Man's best friend, always with us for far too short a time...

Back