thermometer recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I want to pick up a probe thermometer to more accurately control my mash temperature, but I'm not sure about what model to pick up. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so cost is a bit of a factor. Let me know what you guys use or would recommend.

Thermapen.

if by probe you mean one of those meat thermometers that are meant to stay in the oven attached to a LCD screen outside the oven, i wouldnt recommend them. 1. they are not intended to be submerged in liquid 2. the ones i have used have not been very accurate.

I'm in the market for one as well. I've heard that Thermoworks makes a good one for $20. RTC something or other.

I started with the alcohol lab thermometer that came with my kit. I then bought a bi-metal dial thermometer. Next was a $20 digital probe. It adjusts so slowly that I got frustrated and ordered a Thermopen. I have yet to use it. Next Wednesday!

Thermoworks, the people who make Thermapen also make a budget version, which is what I have. I got it from Amazon for $25. It's actually shipped from the manufacturer. It's great, I love it. It reads in less than 6 seconds. Seems very accurate. I recommend it. http://tinyurl.com/cytsn5b

Latest posts

Back