double boil starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuckBrauer

Reaction score
Quick question, I'm currently making a yeast starter, and I'm doing a double boil in my new flask (thank you Santa). Anyways, is the liquid inside the flask supposed to boil? Because mine is not and I don't want to add my yeast to something that isn't sanitary. I've been boiling for about 20 mins. Thanks

Is a double boil when you boil the flask in another container of boiling liquid? I guess you have an electric stove? If you are and you can't just boil your wort in the flask on the stovetop, you can boil the flask in a covered container for 15 minutes to sterilize. I think you've got to have a cover on it to get the steam and heat to work though.

yes, that's what it is. I have an electric stove so I'm not supposed to put my flask on the stovetop. So you're saying I have to have the container holding my flask and boiling water needs to be covered? Because I covered my flask, but if the pot needs to be covered then I'm going to have to try this again

Personally I would think it's ok how you did it. I don't know for sure if you need to cover, but I have a gas stove so I don't usually have to double boil my flasks. I do double boil my larger vessels, and I cover them to keep the steam in the there as best I can. I have read things where people believe 160 degrees is the magic number, others say you need 15 minutes of full boil/steam.

alright, thanks. I left it in there for 30 mins, which may have been overkill, but I wanted to be sure. Should be good to go.

You do what you want, but I just squirt my flask with starsan as I am beginning to boil my starter wort, and again after I clean and am ready for storage. I understand that Borasilicate *can* be boiled in, but I have never been able to get past the visual of boiling glass flying around, covered with boiling wort.

I have often been tempted to try that Helibrewer but have never had the guts to risk losing a batch. Might try it next time.

I don't even boil my starter wort, just mix the DME with fresh RO water then pitch the yeast and it in a sanitized flask.

That sounds risky. Isn't the point of boiling your starter to insure there aren't any wild yeast in your DME. I suppose if you know it's absolutely sterile you're fine, but it doesn't sound worth the risk to me

Back