I don't think I mixed my DME in very well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eves

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd batch (Coopers pre-hopped IPA). In my previous batches I've followed the mixing of the ingredients according to the Coopers instructions (haven't lead me wrong so far). This time I kind of messed up a step. In order to avoid clumps of the DME when adding it to the wort I was supposed to mix the DME with some boiling water before adding it to the fermenter...I forgot. Not only that but I was supposed to put the 2 liters of boiling water in with the extract, DME, and the dextrose and then mix and then top off to 5 gallons of water. Alas, I forgot about the sugars and didn't remember until I had almost all of the 5 gallons. The moment I remember I threw the DME and dextrose in and stirred as best I could. My temp was where I needed it so I took an OG sample (1.046) and pitched the yeast.

That was last night. This morning I got up and checked on the fermenter. No airlock activity (not that it matters) at that time but there was a tiny bit an hour or so later (~10 hours since pitching). The strange thing I noticed was that at the bottom of the fermenter was a lot of white stuff. I would venture a guess that that white stuff was the DME and/or the dextrose (can't imagine what else it could be).

Obviously I messed up by not following the instructions (don't know where my head was last night) but will the beer turn out alright?

Will that clump of white stuff at the buttom of the fermenter, assuming its the sugars, end up being consumed by the yeast?

I know its typically unadvisable to open up a fermenter and stir it but might that help stir up the sugars? I am not even sure if I could stir it well enough without oxygenating it for it to matter .

It's all good. Ignore your fermenter for a few days, relax, and let the yeast do their thing. They are now in the "lag phase" of reproduction, where the yeast are multiplying madly, but producing little CO2, hence, not so much airlock activity.

It can take up to 72 hours for signs of active fermentation, so your best bet now is to back off, and leave it alone.

Oh I'm not paying much attention to the airlock and I don't have a problem about there not being much activity there less than a day after pitching. My concern is with regards to the white stuff gathered at the bottom of the fermenter.

The whitestuff is most likeley the trub, and yeasties. Undissolved DME tends to clump, so if the white layer on the bottom is farily uniform and "smooth" I wouldn't worry about it. The beer will turn out great.

Well...1.5 days after pitching the yeast the white stuff (trub?) is no longer visible, the airlock is going like mad, the fermenter is about 5+ degrees higher than the room itself, the krausen is HUGE, and the room smells completely awsome. I've only brewed two other batches and neither one had such a powerful aroma filling the room. Sure hope my wife doesn't complain. If she does I don't know how she'll react to the smell I am expecting from the apfelwine I'll be making next week.

Back