Midwest Supplies 40 quart pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldenShowerGladiator

Reaction score
I'm making the jump to all-grain and want to do 5 gallon batches. I don't have a real interest in 10 gallon batches. I'd like to get the pot linked below. I have a 30 quart pot right now which gives me very little room for boilovers so I'm looking to scale up a little. Would you guys recommend these pots and if so should I get the spigot attachment as well as the thermometer addition?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/home...y-duty-stainless-steel-brew-pot-40-quart.html

do u have every thing else you need ? IC ect?
thats a lot of money for a bigger pot when you could scle your batches down to make your pot work
until you have all the other stuff

IMO

I have that pot, purchased it off of amazon. I love it. Its perfect for 5 gallon batches. If you have a decent drill, maybe skip the spigot and add it at a later date. You can purchase a step bit and add one yourself. I was shocked at how easy it was.

+1 on drilling your own spigot. It's easy and while it may have been a fluke, my buddy got his kettle drilled too large from Midwest and had to return it. I would get the spigot (or any connectors and such) from http://bargainfittings.com. They even have the step bit there although you can get that at most any local hardware store.

they do it at Midwest Supplies according to the site. i could just pay to do that since i dont have a ton of tools at my disposal. what are the benefits to having the spigot?

hey Spike, are all of your kettles tri-bottom?

Non of our kettles are tri-bottom. We used to offer them but stopped recently. A tri-bottom kettle is not needed for brewing beer unless you plan on using a flat glass stove top (as the bottoms are machined flat). We're not sure where the rumor of they are better at preventing scorching came from but it's just not true. Our kettles along with Blichmann kettles are single layered. They are lighter and less expensive than the heavy tri-bottoms.

-Ben

not a big deal. i've spent the last hour reading reviews of your pots. i know i would want a ss ball valve for sure. do you guys drill for the sight glass?

and if I'm doing a full boil for 5 gallon batches (6.5 gallons) and bought the 9 gallon kettle would it be ideal to have the vertical or horizontal setup?

The top coupler on our kettles is 6" from the bottom so hopefully that helps you decide which config would work best for you. We can also drill a hole for a weldless sight glass (no charge) or you could go with the horizontal couplers and use a dual sight glass/thermo.

Back