Anyone else here from New Zealand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I'd like to know if swappa crate bottles are strong enough for me to bottle my brews in.

Not from NZ, but I might be able to help. Do the bottles you are talking about originally hold a carbonated beverage? For example, Champagne bottles could hold a bottle conditioned beer since it is made to hold carbonation. A wine bottle on the other hand would be a bad idea. In the same thread, you could probably safely bottle in glass coca cola bottles too. Hope this helps if nobody else can.

Hi there from a fellow Kiwi, who can confirm that Swappa bottles are the business for homebrew! They are absolutely ideal, plenty strong, made for refilling, they are the money, and best of all a source for cheap bottles. Just get all of your mates around to drink the swill that comes in them, or buy their empties off them for $10 a crate!

For all other (non-kiwis) who are interested, a swappa crate is an old-school wooden crate of 12x 750ml refillable bottles that the major brewers sell their bulk brands in. You get 9 litres of (not very good) beer for about $40. Then you take the empty crate back to the liquor store (or "bottle shop" if you're old-school) and "swap" the crate of empties for full ones at a discount. Apparently it's a huge PITA for the brewerys, and they hoped that they'd die out in the 90's, but it didn't happen.

For an example of a swappa crate required viewing is the movie "Once Were Warriors"

Yup, NZ homebrewer here, I have used swappa crate bottles with no dramas.

Have about 6 crates here that did the rounds with HB for a while but have since moved to kegs so they're kinda redundant now.

If you're keen for some more local discussion RealBeer.co.nz has a forum for NZ brewers.

So I basically get a $10 discount if I return the bottles and crate back, and otherwise I lose that $10 'deposit'? I'm currently bottling my brews in plastic bottles, and the empty bottles cost me $15.50 for a 15 pack at a homebrew shop so I'm keen for glass bottles.

Yeah, I don't drink the stuff that comes in the swappas so I just went to a bottle store and they let me take the empties and crates for whatever the deposit was, I think $6 or something.

Get all the positives of glass and at a cheaper price than the plastic.

Back