Fermentation in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfranco81

Reaction score
I have just transferred my Honey Wheat into secondary after a week in Primary. The OG was 1.053 and the SG right now is ~1.03, this seems awfully high, will my beer drop a significant amount in the next week or two in secondary?

4# LME Wheat
2# DME Wheat
.5 oz EK Goldings (75 min)
Washed Wyeast #3944

Edit: 1# Honey

I know the yeast is good because this batch gave my blow-off tube a workout.

pfranco81 said:
I have just transferred my Honey Wheat into secondary after a week in Primary. The OG was 1.053 and the SG right now is ~1.03, this seems awfully high, will my beer drop a significant amount in the next week or two in secondary?

4# LME Wheat
2# DME Wheat
.5 oz EK Goldings (75 min)
Washed Wyeast #3944

I know the yeast is good because this batch gave my blow-off tube a workout.

I would have left that in the primary for another week however since its in the secondary it should ferment a bit more. I would wait to see if the airlock shows activity and if it doesn't possibly consider repitching. Otherwise you may have a good session beer to sip on all day :).

pfranco81 said:
well the airlock had been dead so i figured i might as well

I tend to test the gravity prior to moving into the secondary as the yeast slurry in the trub from the primary will continue to ferment even if no bubbles are seen. You should see your SG still drop a bit in the secondary however the FG may still end high. Are you extract or AG brewing? From what I hear some manufacturers of extracts add a lot of unfermentables which also maybe a cause for the high OG and the weaker fermentation.

I'm extract, because of the high SG i made sure to rack some of the yeast slurry into secondary just in case. I think part of the problem is that I used a pound of honey.... i forgot to say that.

pfranco81 said:
I'm extract, because of the high SG i made sure to rack some of the yeast slurry into secondary just in case. I think part of the problem is that I used a pound of honey.... i forgot to say that.

Honey is fermentable so it shouldn't be a problem to get a better FG. I would just let it sit and check it in a few days. If it doesn't budge maybe repitch some yeast.

yeah, wait until it's finished before you rack to secondary. Secondary is purely for clearing the beer. I've heard that Honey takes a while to ferment out (i'm currently on my first brew using honey, a Honey Rye) so that might explain why it was taking a bit of time. I'd suggest repitching (as you may have left lots of yeast behind) and waiting it out.

Back