incomplete sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swissbrew13

Reaction score
Was told at my LHBS that easy clean was sufficient to clean/sanitize. Me being new to brewing believed him. I'm reading a lot about how that is not true lately. I have two 5 gal batches in primary right now. Cause for concern?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Looks more like an Oxygen cleaner, such as Oxiclean, rather than a sanitizer.

But do not fret! There is still a great chance that your beer will be just fine.

Now go out and get a real sanitizer like Starsan, or some Iodophor or something!

If you want to sanitize properly, you really need to clean before you sanitize. You should clean with a caustic to remove organic soils and clean with an acid to remove mineral deposits. After doing both, you can proceed to sanitizing. Also, it's not a bad practice to do a water wash before both the caustic and acid washes.

Here's an article from a few professional brewers on cleaning/santizing:
Sanitation tips from the pros

Don't worry though, you'll probably be fine. It's very difficult to screw up brewing. I wouldn't worry about it. However, I thought it might be appropriate to give some tips.

Stop worrying. I did several batches with Easy Clean before I started using StarSan with no problems. I've heard that Easy Clean would be a sanitizer if they went through the long and costly process to get that certification.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I wasn't necessarily worried, just wondering if I should be. I've got an american amber and an imperial IPA fermenting right now and am looking forward to enjoying them. Bottling the American amber on Sunday. Thanks again for the replies!

Just picked up some starsan and an auto siphon because the regular one is a pain. Thanks again!

If you bottle you would love the combination of some StarSan and a vinator. It makes sanitizing the inside of the bottle so easy.

Just googled. Have one. and a bottle tree. Excited for Sunday when I bottle my first batch. Going to be tough to keep around 70 degrees though, we've been in the teens for highs the past few days.

Latest posts

Back