Adding Coffee to a Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyW

Reaction score
What is the best method. I am already in the primary so end of the boil is out.

I heard soaking in cold water over night is the best way. Then adding to secondary.

How much water for 1 lb coffee?

Any other suggestions?

Cold press is the way to go, but I would leave it more than 24 hrs if you could (maybe 2-3 days). As far as the amount, you would prefer to have as little water as possible with as much coffee flavor extracted into as possible. A half gallon of )coffee-flavored) water would reduce your gravity by ~.006, keep that in mind. Have you thought about just aging the beer on coffee beans for a week or two?

"best" is pretty subjective. I do a Coffee Porter where I just add a 1/4 lb of Whole Coffee Beans to the Secondary and let them steep for about 5 days. It's the only method I've ever used so I can't compare it to anything, but I like the results so I'm gonna stick with it. Depending on how heavy you want the coffee flavor you can adjust the the amounts and time. In my Porter, the Coffee flavor is very much at the front, but I still get the flavor of the Porter with some residual sweetness in the background. At Bottling time the Coffee Flavor was waaaay overpowering, but at the 3 week mark in bottles it was excellent. Hope that helps ya:mug:

Back