My bews so far...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpappilli

Reaction score
Here it is.. On the left we have White House Honey Ale, on the right we have William Moors Wiezen Beer. Honey ale has been in the fermenter for 2.5 weeks, OG 1.060, Gravity now is 1.017. Wiezen Beer has been fermenting for two weeks OG 1.020, now 1.012. I am going to bottle the Honey Ale this weekend. Cheers..

IMG_0547.jpg
:mug:

OG 1.020 seems a little low for a wheat beer.

I thought so as well, but I made this recipe once already and my finishing gravity was the same as this one. I don't think its going to come down any lower than 1.012. My last batch came out very good, I tasted this one last night and it looks, smells and tastes great. :mug:

In that case,it's most likely that you didn't get the chilled wort/top off watr mixed well enough to get a proper OG reading. Here's what I do; Pour both the wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer in a roughly circular pattern. This not only filters out the big stuff,but causes the liquid to look like rain coming out the bottom of the strainer. This is how I get it aerated the most in this first step.
I then use my plastic paddle to stir briskly for 5 minutes straight. Mixes better & aerates even more. I get pretty accurate OG readings this way. Try it & see if it helps you. It does sound like it's coming out as it should,so this is the most likely culprit.

In that case,it's most likely that you didn't get the chilled wort/top off watr mixed well enough to get a proper OG reading. Here's what I do; Pour both the wort & top off water through a fine mesh strainer in a roughly circular pattern. This not only filters out the big stuff,but causes the liquid to look like rain coming out the bottom of the strainer. This is how I get it aerated the most in this first step.
I then use my plastic paddle to stir briskly for 5 minutes straight. Mixes better & aerates even more. I get pretty accurate OG readings this way. Try it & see if it helps you. It does sound like it's coming out as it should,so this is the most likely culprit.

Thats a great idea! Ill use that for my next batch. The information for this batch online says my starting gravity should have been 1.039. I have been adding my top off water straight to the cooled wort in my fermenter then aerating, mixing and stiring for about 5 minutes.

Try my way once & see what you think. I think it's less work,& at my age,every short cut that makes it easier & better is a bonus. Don't work harder,work smarter,as the old timers at Ford used to tell me some some 30-35 years ago.:mug:

Back