Newbie's First batch...fermentation concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barronmi

Reaction score
Started my first batch (Cheers!!) Amber Ale (OG 1.042). Have good temperature contol in fermenter (range 68-73 degrees). After 18hrs, air lock showing good signs of activity, consistent bubbling. After 36 hrs...nothing. should I be concerned?

You can check to make sure your airlock or lid is tight. If the temp. dropped, that will also slow the bubbling. Starting at 1.042, it is possible the yeast are done converting sugar to CO2. Or all three ;-)

Congrats!

After 36 hrs...nothing. should I be concerned?

One thing you should learn is that as long as you know your fermentation bucket is completely sealed, do not worry about the airlock activity. People focus on that way to much. Seal the bucket, plug it with a airlock and forget about it. Welcome aboard!! :ban:

I might add... Your yeast was pretty happy at the 68F-73F temperature. That aided in a fast fermentation. Temperature control is a pretty important factor in making good beer. Especially during the first 72 hours of fermentation. Try to find a way to hold a steady beer temp (not ambient temp) under 65F if you can. It will be one less variable to worry about. Good Luck & Happy Brewing... Cheers!!!!

Airlock activity should be ingnored as it is not a good indicator of fermentation. The best way to check if fermentation is complete is to use a hydrometer. Even when your hydrometer says the beer is done you can still get air lock activity. And plus 1 on what pkeeler said (and if the sugars are done being converted, this should be checked with a hydrometer).

By the way, welcome to the club.

Looks like the fermentation is on course....took a reading yesterday, day 5, which returned a 1.013, (OG 1.042).

First beer of first batch - Amber Ale.
Primary Fermenter: 3 weeks
Bottles: 2 weeks

Well, I'm pumped...batch turned out great! Better than I would have thought given my 1st batch. Slightly more carbonation than I would have expected, but certainly not a detraction from the overall product. What changes can I expect over time?

Already have second batch in primary - Brown Ale!

IMG_0506.jpg

Looks beautiful! I would like a sip of that. I'm thinking about an amber as well for my next brew. Was this a kit?

beerloaf

Thanks for posting that. I will probably get this kit. I have used liquid yeast in the last 3 brews so far and all seemed to work as expected. So I might stick to that and get the liquid with this kit.

beerloaf

Back