No Activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday morning. Used White Lab 530 that was shipped in the mail. As of this morning there is absolutely no activity. What should I do? I was thinking of buying new yeast although my local shop does no carry White Lab.

What is the temperature of fermentation? Did you make starter? In what vessel do you ferment (is it sealed well)?
It is not unusual if it takes up to 48 hrs for yeast to show signs of activity, depending on cells vitality.
Relax and wait for another day before any action. Your yeast is probably not dead, it just needs more time.

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be deceiving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going- Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs. And by visible signs, we STILL don't mean airlock activity.

I did not make a starter (not at that level yet) and the temp is around 73 degrees (the bottle said to ferment between 70-75). I checked the seal on the bucket and the airlock. I will give it some time and see. Thanks for the advice.

Back