So I had my 1st Guinness in a long time tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodfatherX

Reaction score
I haven't had it it probably 2 years. Every time before, I had it I thought it tasted like bread. But, this time I had it I could really appreciate the different flavors and the creaminess of it. I guess my taste buds have matured quite a bit in 2 years though. Makes me want to brew a clone. mmmmm

I am a big fan as well. But, you have to get it on tap to really do it justice.

I must be in the minority that doesn't like this beer all that much. It tastes like it should have a really big, bold flavor but it comes in as underwhelming. It's not a bad beer, I just don't think it lives up to its hype.

I must be in the minority that doesn't like this beer all that much. It tastes like it should have a really big, bold flavor but it comes in as underwhelming.

You're not alone. I find the variety sold here to be pretty much devoid of taste and texture, like so much dark water. My own oatmeal stout is vastly superior. Now if I could only figure out how to get one of those widgets in my bottles, because I do love the Guinness pour!

That is really only one of 2 stouts I've ever tried. I think I kinda limited myself against dry stouts from my early (nieve) impressions of Guinness. I've had SN's stout and enjoyed it quite a bit. So I guess I need to try some oatmeal stouts. Oh wait I take that back......I've had Mackeson Triple XXX Stout also. Which was quite enjoyable also......although I drank a whole 6 pack of it and did not get much of a buzz. So I need to try some different dry/oatmeal stouts.

The last time I bought Guinness it was draught in bottles. I didn't think to much of it because it seemed very thin but I bet on draft it is a lot better. Bradsul has a nice version of a dry stout.

You can't drink Guinness from a bottle... the "surge cans" are a tick better than bottles but even those aren't real Guinness. The only way to get decent Guinness (other than going to Ireland) is from a very fresh keg otherwise it tastes like a very different beer.

That's a perk of living in Boston... 4.9 bazillion irish pubs and a awful lot of very good Guinness (for outside of Ireland).

Fwiw, Mackesson XXX is a milk stout that clocks in a 4.9%.

If you like Guinness, you have to brew yourself a plain old dry stout and taste it fresh...not to mention you have the opportunity to tweak it to your prefs!

The only way to get decent Guinness (other than going to Ireland) is from a very fresh keg otherwise it tastes like a very different beer.

YUP - what I WISH was if there was a website that listed all the bars that had Guinness on tap - is there one? There REALLY should be!

I like the Extra Stout over the Draught. The best Guinness I've had was in the Bahamas. They actually have a brewery there that brews Guiness, Heinekin and Kalik. I was in heaven because Guiness Extra Stout was 1/2 the price of a Bud.

Me personally, it takes about 2 years to get the taste out of my mouth. The only time I really enjoyed the dry, acrid roastiness of a Guiness is when it was paired with a good coconut shrimp and orange glaze.

It's still not my favorite stout but, I do prefer the Foreign Extra Stout to the standrad dry.

One of my favorite bars here in Clemson has it on draft. I'm a happy man. I stay away from Guiness out of a bottle though. Seems like it has no taste.

I find everyone serves Guinness far too cold now. Even the can says 'serve extra cold' on it! I've found that if you let it warm up quite a lot you get most of that flavour you remember from it. Though Guinness now doesn't taste anything like I remember from say 10 years ago.

The only guinness I like these days is the foreign extra stout. The stuff on tap here is brewed locally and not very good, likewise the normal stout. The stuff in cans isn't that great either.
I've drunk heaps of guinness, I've even had it at St James's Gate when I was over there in 1997, but I prefer nearly any other stout over guinness these days except for the foreign extra.

I agree drinking Guinness from tap definatley has more body to it. I drink it from the bottles all the time and although not as good it is still good. I like the mild flavor of Guinness, I tried their Extra Stout, it was good but a bit on the strong side for me. It just overpowered my mouth tbh.

Latest posts

Back