First AG BIAB - Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppinThruTX

Reaction score
First time poster, but have gotten so much advice from just reading I have to say thanks first. Anyway, I brewed my first AG BIAB 2 days ago (12th overall, all prior were extract with steeping), it was a Citra Pale Ale, grain and hop bill as follows:

7.5 lbs. Pale 2 row 1.5* L
1.5 lbs Marris Otter 3* L
1 lb. Cara-Vienne 25* L

1 oz. Cascade @ 60
.5 oz Citra @ 15, 10, 5, and flameout (2oz total)

Mashed at 152 +/-2 for an hour, everything went well and was .001 off my expected OG of 1.044. Cooled and pitched about a cup of S-05 slurry from a cream ale I kegged the day before. Fermentation kicked off in about 12-16 hours and is beginning to slow down.

I plan on leaving it in the primary for 14 days and then kegging it and adding an oz. of Cascade whole leafs in a Muslin bag tied to the dip tube and force carb. I want it to be ready to drink by June 5th so I can take it to a trip to the river.

Anybody got any suggestions for me or any ideas how it may come out??

Sounds like it will be a good one. I'm brewing a similar pale ale this weekend using chinook with some citra dry hops to be ready for the summer.

That sounds freakin delicious! I got my Zombie Dust clone fermenting right now with all Citra and man does the aroma smell so good. I'm curious to see if I am going to like an all Citra IPA better than the all Centennial IPA. I'd like to make one of them an annual IPA brew and one an annual APA brew. Only time will tell.

I make my APA with only Citras for flavor and aroma. It has a nice light and fruity taste that completely hides the 40 IBUs, I love it.

Next batch I'll dry hop with Citra for better aroma, I haven't dry hopped it yet.

I brew a similar all Citra APA. I would urge you NOT to do the Cascade dry hop. The aroma of Citra is SOOOOO much nicer than Cascade. If you have extra Citra, dry hop with that. If not, the beer will have PLENTY of aroma as-is with the hop schedule you used. I hop mine with 2.25 TOTAL ounces of Citra (.75/.5/.5) and get a ton of Citra aroma!

PUT THE CASCADE AWAY!!!

topherm said:
i brew a similar all citra apa. I would urge you not to do the cascade dry hop. The aroma of citra is sooooo much nicer than cascade. If you have extra citra, dry hop with that. If not, the beer will have plenty of aroma as-is with the hop schedule you used. I hop mine with 2.25 total ounces of citra (.75/.5/.5) and get a ton of citra aroma!

Put the cascade away!!!

+1

I agree with the no cascade sentiment. If you can find or have more Citra use it for the dry hop. I think dry hopping with the Cascade will cut away at all the Citra character.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll either get some more Citra or forget about the dry hop all together... Pretty sure my LHBS has Citra whole hops in stock right now.

Back