Standard vs Premium regulators at Keg Connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miahpage

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't seem like a silly question, but I am new to kegging.

Keg Connection has two different types of homebrew keg kits available, standard and premium. The only difference is in the type of regulators. The standard kit comes with their "own brand regulator".

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Homebrew+Kegerator+Kits:5+%23+Homebrew+Kits:Standard+Kits:Basic+Keg+Kits

The premium kit comes with a taprite regulator.

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Categories.bok?category=*Homebrew+Kegerator+Kits:5+%23+Homebrew+Kits:premium+Kits:Basic+Keg+Kits

1. What is the main difference between the two regulators?

2. Are the premium regulators worth the 40 dollar difference?

3. Will better regulators give me a better pour?

Thanks

1) The spendy ones have nice handles and automatic pressure release. The cheapo ones have to be adjusted with a screwdriver, and you manually release pressure when you go from a higher to a lower pressure.

2) Is it worth it to you? I bought the cheapo ones, and I am perfectly happy with them.

3) No. Doesn't matter if you spend 10 cents or 10,000 dollars, the beer will pour the same, (as long as you have either set at the same pressure).

I find that the ones with the knobs are more convenient when making small adjustments in a cramped keezer...at least the way mine is situated. Something to consider when evaluating how yours will be positioned. I use the cheaper regulator for the other regulator that I use for keg maintenance or pre-carbing. As shortyjacaobs noted, it's more about ease of use than the quality of the pour.

I have a fancy, shiny Micromatic premium primary regulator with a knob instead of a screw, and Keg Connection house brand secondary regulators with screws instead of knobs... they all work perfectly well.

I've got the taprite regulator and couldn't be happier with them. My tank is inside the kegerator and having the knobs to make small adjustments is a lot easier then trying to get a screw driver in there.

FWIW, I have the taprite regs and have no complaints. I've never tried the house version, but I do like the convenience of the knobs in the taprite version.

I got the premium micromatic regulator. It doesn't work any better than another, but is sure looks pretty! For me the 8 dollar or so price increase wasn't really an issue.

I have the taprite. For the fairly minor price difference, I felt these were worth it:
Built in gasket (no need for nylon washer)
Better looks (mine are highly visible)
No need for a screwdriver
You can get rebuild kits

Back