Help adding lactose and choco powder to boil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My porter just freed my fermenter, so today I am brewing an imperial choco stout I found in the stout forum for St. Patty's day. It says to add the lactose and powder in at 45 minutes of the boil. Has anyone ever done this before? Should I expect a raging boil over or the possibility of the powder and lactose sticking to the bottom of the pot, burning, and ruining my batch?
I was thinking about turning the flame off a bit to incorporate the 2 to the boil, but I figured I would ask what you veterans think. Only my third AG brew lol.

Also, when I put the recipe into ibrewmaster, the potential OG is coming out like 10 points less than recipe says. According to the software, at 72% efficiency, I'll can expect 1.079, but recipe says .091.

Grain bill is 14lb 2 row, 1lb caramel 40, 1lb choco malt, and 8 oz black malt. Also, 1lb of lactose. Not sure if the lactose adds any fermentable sugars and ibrewmaster didn't account for it :/

I think cutting the flame to add is a wise choice - same concept as extract brewing (don't wanna burn those sugars).

What software are you using? Lactose will contribute to your OG, but since it isn't fermentable it'll raise your FG, ceteris paribus.

Also keep in mind that a big beer like an imperial stout, might not be properly aged by St. Patty's Day. I would say you are looking at about 2 months minimum for aging. That is a guess but I know bigger beers need to age longer.

True. I thought it was 2 months away. I checked a calendar it is like a month. O well! I have an Irish Red to brew too lol

Any time is a good time for stout ;)

Thanks for the feed back, and I am using iBrewmaster for my software.

Back