fridge or freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnacle

Reaction score
I live in an apartment, and so space is at a premium. I've decided I want to start kegging and picked up a kit from KegConnection. Now I need to decide what to put them in. I'm thinking either a 4.4 cu.ft fridge or a 5 cu.ft freezer.

I'm leaning towards the freezer, but I'm curious about a few things:

I like cellar temperature beer, so I'm thinking I can get a temp controller and set the freezer to 65 (it can get to 120 in here during the summer...no joke). That way I can ferment and serve at the same time. If I'm not fermenting, I can turn the temp down if I want colder beer. Can anyone see a reason why this wouldn't work?

That would seem to be the main reason for using a temperature regulator, so no, that should work just fine. Although you can do the same thing with a fridge.

One thing that might make the choice easier is the type of keg you got. The vast majority of kegerator conversion threads here are written for ball lock kegs. I have pin locks, and thus most 4.4cf fridges don't work for me (in fact, the discontinued Sanyo 4912 is the only one I can find that *does* without drastic modifications). If you have ball locks (like most, it seems), then either will be fine. But with pin locks, go with the freezer.

That would seem to be the main reason for using a temperature regulator, so no, that should work just fine. Although you can do the same thing with a fridge.

One thing that might make the choice easier is the type of keg you got. The vast majority of kegerator conversion threads here are written for ball lock kegs. I have pin locks, and thus most 4.4cf fridges don't work for me (in fact, the discontinued Sanyo 4912 is the only one I can find that *does* without drastic modifications). If you have ball locks (like most, it seems), then either will be fine. But with pin locks, go with the freezer.

hmmm.....I didn't take that into consideration. Since I have pin locks, it sounds like I'm getting a freezer :)

thanks!!:mug:

A 5.0 cuft freezer w/ 8" collar fits 3 pin locks and a 5lb co2 bottle snugly. The beauty is the 5.0 isn't that big, so if space is an issue you are good to go. I added small roller casters so I can easily move it away from the wall to open if needed. Will probably go bigger one day, but for now while living in base housing, it works great :ban:

Back