I heart SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman

Reaction score
So, I had this awesome telescope that I've been trying to sell. A local gentleman offered an amount far below what I wanted, but SWMBO said to go for it. Against my wishes I sold at the offered price. The following conversation ensued after the buyer left with the scope:

SWMBO: You okay?
Me: Yeah.
SWMBO: Feel like you just got raped?
Me: Pretty much.
SWMBO: Well, think of all the brewing stuff you can get for the money you just got!
Me: You are awesome!

The days where I don't remember that are the really bad ones. So, I try to think of that every day. :)

Yep,
Scopes can be hard to get rid of. Sold my 5 yr old Meade LX-50 for half original cost and ALSO had to spring for $200 shipping to send it half way across the country to the interested party

You know I sometimes look at my scope collecting dust in the corner and say, yah I don't use it much anymore... but I can't seem to part with it. Its an orion 10" f/4.7 Dobsonian. Paid $500 for it. Great planetary imaging scope but without tracking its not attractive to most people... oh well. At least your SWMBO sounds pretty cool about the money you got for the scope. She's a real keeper man!

No nieces, but she does have first cousins if you're into hairy married men ;)

Dobbys are actually getting pretty popular lately due to the small cost for a light bucket like those. You should have no problem selling it, if you ever decide to.

Yet another reason:

We're having breakfast today, and I mentioned I wanted to go to the LHBS to pick up a couple more fermenting buckets. Her reaction:

Meg: You should probably pick up a couple of the better bottles, too.
Me: This is so getting posted in the forum!

YOu should think about building your own Dob. I got started making my own scope years back, and would have been done years back if my friend hadn't gone and got ahead of me. We were planning on grinding the mirrors at the same time so we didn't contaminate each other's mirror with the wrong grit.

Anyway, he got ahead and I got sidetracked and now my mirror blanks are sitting on my shelf wrapped in baby blankets, waiting for the day when I will break them out and get back to grinding and polishing and figuring.

You can build a nice 8-12" dob for a couple of hundred, depending on how much you want to buy and how much you want to build yourself. If you are handy, you can make do with a lot of hardware items and some time.

My friend also stopped working on his at about the time he was ready to figure it. He got a bit of cash and went and bought a retail dob. Which he sold a couple of years later to his brother... I bet he wishes he had that scope now. He lives up north with practically 0 light pollution!

Anyway, just think about how much that other guy is going to enjoy using that scope! You're doing someone a favor by selling it cheap.

Back