Session Brown/Mild Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awall

Reaction score
Hey, I've decided to brew a fairly simple session brown ale for my next brew. It will be my 5th batch and second go at making a recipe. I tried another brewer's Mild and it was delicious. So I bought some DME, Crystal and Chocolate malts. My main concern is with the specialty grains.

I don't really care about getting it exactly to a Mild style, but just want a lower abv brown ale so i've based it on some English Mild recipes I've found.

So I'm thinking for a 6 Gal batch,

4.4lb Light DME
7oz Pale Crystal (Thomas Fawcett)
7oz Dark Crystal (Thomas Fawcett)
7oz Chocolate Malt

Then 1oz EKG @60mins and 1oz EKG @ 10mins.

Using S04 yeast.

What do you all think?

Cheers:)

Thanks!

Do you mean that the EKG are a sweet hop? Or sweet due to a lack of bitterness? Could i just increase the 60min addition slightly and keep the 10min addition? I'm interested to know what the EKG taste like so i would like to keep a later addition if possible.

I've already bought the chocolate and it's Thomas Fawcett too, so I'll just see how it goes. I'm getting a few differences when I try and calculate OG and probable abv. One calc shows just over 4% and another 3.6%. I'd really like to keep it around 3.5%. Could someone familiar with extract brewing do a quick OG /ABV calculation for me with my current recipe?

Cheers for the help so far! Can't wait to brew this batch.

Back