partial mash this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

single.barrel

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good arrogant bastard clone and would like to do a partial mash as well. I found this recipe. It calls to steep the grains but don't most of these grains need to be mashed anyway? also what could I use in place of the red wheat?

6½ Pounds Pale Malt Extract
1 Pound Belgian Special-B Malt Grain
½ Pound Belgian CaraVienne Malt Grain
½ Pound Belgian CaraMunich Malt Grain
½ Pound Belgian Biscuit Malt Grain
½ Pound Red Wheat Malt Grain
½ Pound Cara-Pils Malt Grain
2½ Ounces Centennial Hops (Bittering)
2 Ounces Columbus Hops (Flavoring)
1 Ounce Cascade Hops (Aroma)
1 Teaspoon Irish Moss
1 Vial White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) or White Labs Edinburgh Ale Yeast (WLP028) or White Labs British Ale Yeast (WLP005)
1 Cup Corn Sugar (Priming)

METHOD:
Place crushed Grains in water and steep at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove spent grains and add Malt Extract and Bittering Hops. Boil for 1 hour, adding the Flavoring Hops 40 minutes into the boil. Add Irish Moss last 5 minutes of the boil. Add Aroma Hops in the last 2 minutes of the boil. Cool wort and pitch yeast. Primary-ferment in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy at 68 to 73 degrees for 5 to 7 days. Transfer to secondary fermenter. Secondary-ferment in a 5 gallon glass carboy an additional 7 to 10 days at temperatures between 68 and 73 degrees. Bottle, using corn sugar. Age in bottle for 30 days.

Dependant on how big you mash tun is and how much grain it can hold, just convert the relevant amount of ME to Pale malt.

As for the red wheat, I'm not sure but how about amber malt?

Do you have any brewing software?

I don't have any brewing software. I want to keep the malt extract, I was wondering if the grains in the bill would benefit from a partial mash instead of steeping them as the recipe calls for

Back