Low on malt extract. Suggestions for a substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g-bus

Reaction score
I decided to make a spring cleaning brew with all of my leftover ingredients, but I only have about 2 pounds of dried malt extract. Unfortunately the closest homebrew store is about an hour away, so I was hoping to find something at the grocery store. I found a little bit of info about using various sugars as a substitute, cane, brown, honey, but wanted some input on this. Here's what I have so far:
Hops:
½ oz crystal
¼ oz Chinook
1 oz Chinook

Malt:
2 lbs Muntons amber dried malt extract

Grains:
½ lb carapils
½ lb c20

Yeast:
Red Star Pasteur Champagne, dry

I figure that I could make it with just go with the 2 lbs of dried malt extract, but that would prob make for a pretty light beer, and I'm really more into either very hoppy or very heavy. Thought about just doing a 2 gal batch too, but if I can I might as well stick with a 5 gal since its about the same amount of work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What about barley malt sweetner.Never tried it just noticed it the other day at a whole foods store @7$ for 24 oz.
Also an hour drive is about the same for the cost of shipping(probably more!) really but understand your point.
Same amout of work for 20 beers compared to 50 but compensating taste,you could add a some corn sugar/honey and get it up to 3 gallons and still have a pretty good beer. Also never tried that champange yeast.

could try looking in the baking isle (aisle?w/e) they might have malt syrup?

Back