Kegerator shank hole question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
I'm converting a CraigsList fridge to a kegerator, and I'm planning on adding taps to the front of the door. When I cut my holes, do I need to use a supporting spacer like a length of PVC pipe that the shank fits inside of, or can the shank pass through the hole by itself? Also -- if I'm using just the shank, what size hole saw do I want to use?

Thanks!

The hole on the single-faucet tower I just replaced appears to be 15/16ths.

As for the shank itself, if you're buying elbow shanks, (which you'll need if it's a simple, straight-tube tower) they come with a pair of plastic mounts which are curved (concave and convex) to fit on each side of the wall of the tower. The locking nut fits behind it and holds it snug. (Incidentally, the dummy that owned my kegerator before mounted both of those pieces backwards, and consequently flattened the part of the tower where the shank fits.)

I suppose if those didn't come with it, you could fabricate something similar with PVC, cutting a curve through a piece with the same shape as the outer circumference of your tower... then cutting and sanding it down to fit appropriately.

kvh.

I used a 1" hole saw to drill for my shanks, and you shouldn't need any pvc supporting spacer, provided you aren't drilling very far.

Hope that helps.

I think he's adding to the front door of a fridge.

No, you don't need a support sleeve for the shanks.

I drilled 1" holes for my shanks. THey were 4" long (overkill in my case) but would probably work in your setup.

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Back