Need a recipe with these leftovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

held79

Reaction score
I have some leftover ingredients from previous batches that I could use some ideas on how to use them to come up with a drinkable brew.

2 lbs Crystal 10L
8 oz Special Roast

1 lb Munich LME
3-4lbs Light DME

2 oz Simcoe
1 oz Willamette
3 oz Tettnanger

Safbrew T-58
Wyeast 1272

I know what I have will only make a light beer but I would like to use what I have without having to get much more other ingredients. Any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty sure if you tossed it all in a pot and boiled it (probably leaving out the tettnanger) you'd get a drinkable brew. :D
I wouldn't have a clue what style it'd be though...

Pretty sure if you tossed it all in a pot and boiled it (probably leaving out the tettnanger) you'd get a drinkable brew. :D
I wouldn't have a clue what style it'd be though...

You are right it would be an amber of some sort. I'd leave out the yeast too. LOL.

Try using this recipe calculator. The Beer Recipator - Home

Use the Simcoe as the bittering hop and Willamette and flavor/aroma. Target about 25-30 IBUs in bitterness. Guessing about 1 oz of Simcoe at about 45-60 minutes and about 1 oz of Williamette at 5 minutes.

You must use the calculator to confirm this, like I said its a guess but prolly not too far off the mark. It depends on the alpha acids for your Simcoe.

Good Luck! :mug:

BTW - only use about a 1/2-1 oz of special roast!!! Anything more would over-power the flavor.

Steep the 10L for 30 minutes for the water heat-up.

You could go with a few mini batches to try different combinations. I have some 1 gallon carboys (real cheap at the LHBS...like $5 each) and have been waiting to build up enough leftovers to try these mini batches. Just a chance to experiment and see what happens on a small scale, so no pressure.

I would do a Simcoe SMASH (dying to try Simcoe myself) for one, and then who knows.

Are you suggesting using all the LME and DME and all 2 lbs of the Crystal? That seems like a lot but I'm still fairly new at this.

Which yeast would be better? I'm thinking probably the 1272.

Are you suggesting using all the LME and DME and all 2 lbs of the Crystal? That seems like a lot but I'm still fairly new at this.

Which yeast would be better? I'm thinking probably the 1272.

The DME/LME is not too much in fact; four vs five lbs, more is better. The 10L will not get better than 50% extraction efficiency, so its not too much if you just steep in 2.5 gallons of water. Use the 2.5 gallon as your boil size to help set the hop utilization.

It would use the 1272 since I like American Ambers. If you want this to have more a Belgian-like taste use the T-58.

Without a doubt use the web site recipe spreadsheet. It will help you understand recipe creation.

I haven't tried enough different beers to say I prefer on style over another. What I have read about the flavor profiles of the different yeasts I'm thinking the 1272 would be more what I prefer. That's the first I've seen of that website. I'm glad you told me about it.

Dude don't use all that crystal... maybe 10-12 ounces max. Use the Tettananger for bittering since it is the hop that doesn't fit in with the rest, and use your Simcoe and Willamette for your aroma/flavor.

Which one are you classifying as bittering? Simcoe? You have to get over this whole "bittering" vs "aroma" hops thing; it doesn't exist. Hops are hops.

With the 3 hops I have wouldn't the simcoe be the best choice for bittering since the AA are up to 3x higher than the the other 2?

It all depends on what you want from the beer. Three ounces of tett (depending on the aa) will probably get you enough bitter. The aroma and taste of simcoe and willamette are excellent and they can certainly be used as later additions if it suits the style of beer you are attempting to make.

This is my first time trying to make a recipe so I appreciate all the input you have given me. I'm wanting something not too bitter so this is what I'm thinking.

4lbs Light DME
1lb Munich LME
1lb Crystal 10L
1oz Special Roast

1oz Tettnanger 60min
1oz Tettnanger 30min
1oz Willamette 5 or 0min

Any ideas on this recipe? Keep in mind I'm trying to use up some of my leftovers so I don't have so much stuff around that I don't have plans for.

Well except for the willamette in there, and the fact that you will be using a Belgian yeast, that is almost a decent approximation for an oktoberfest-style ale. A little low on OG, so you'd have to tone down the crystal.

With the Belgian yeast you're close to a Belgian Pale, although I'd drop that Willamette addition and move the second Tettnang addition to 15 or 20 minutes. Also because your base grain quantity is a bit low, I'd change the crystal to maybe 1/2 lb instead of the whole pound.

EDIT: added some comments regarding the extract quantity....I am not good at estimating the OG using extract, since I rarely use it.

Which one are you classifying as bittering? Simcoe? You have to get over this whole "bittering" vs "aroma" hops thing; it doesn't exist. Hops are hops.

That is not really true. You can use any hop for bittering, flavor and aroma. Some are better suited for each task. Although you can use warrier for aroma and flavor its best suited for bittering. I think your intended point is the three he has can do all three tasks.

This is my first time trying to make a recipe so I appreciate all the input you have given me. I'm wanting something not too bitter so this is what I'm thinking.

4lbs Light DME
1lb Munich LME
1lb Crystal 10L
1oz Special Roast

1oz Tettnanger 60min
1oz Tettnanger 30min
1oz Willamette 5 or 0min

Any ideas on this recipe? Keep in mind I'm trying to use up some of my leftovers so I don't have so much stuff around that I don't have plans for.

Looks like a winner.

Latest posts

Back