Gonna Make the Jump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
Im making the jump to all grain after about 8 extract batch's this is what i made today

mashtun by DuncanIda, on Flickr

I made a MT and a HLT, but i been reading trying to figure out how to do all grain and people said with this setup you can not fly sprage that your way better off doing Batch sparge.. so i guess i have a extra one or if i ever get a false bottom i have a hlt ready... anyone have some good reading for batch sparging and making the jump to all grain now im scared :cross: on a side note i found a guy that bought 207 10 gallon Rubbermaid coolers at a auction so i got mine for 20 a pop...

Just for simplicity and to get the procedures down I would look into getting an all grain ingredient kit. Then you can concentrate on brewing instead of the ingredients. Many of the online stores have a large selection to chose from. Hopefully I will be following your lead soon. I'm in the process of getting together all the hardware.

So lemme get this right for a all grain brew day i would add grain to correct temped water to reach the correct temp mash temp, then let it sit for a hour the water amount should be around 1.25 quarts to 1 lbs of grain correct? then i collect my first runnings after that hour and see how much i collected then add the diffrence then devide that by 2 and run 2 sparges? am i thinking about this right?

If I was you, If you do not have beersmith. Go to beersmith.com and download a "Free" 20ish day trial. It helped me make the switch. Once you plug in your recipe and select your sparge method. Click on "brewstep" beersmith with tell you excatly what you need from water temp to sparge water needed ect. I would go with an IPA because its simple. You will only get better with each AG batch. *make sure you plug in your equipment also*
Hope this helps make the switch easier. You will be shocked on how easy AG brewing is.

Cheers, :rockin:

Beersmith was a huge help. Better than a few of the free softwares I had tried. I think I'm going to have to pay for it in the next week or so. :)

If I was you, If you do not have beersmith. Go to beersmith.com and download a "Free" 20ish day trial. It helped me make the switch. Once you plug in your recipe and select your sparge method. Click on "brewstep" beersmith with tell you excatly what you need from water temp to sparge water needed ect. I would go with an IPA because its simple. You will only get better with each AG batch. *make sure you plug in your equipment also*
Hope this helps make the switch easier. You will be shocked on how easy AG brewing is.

Cheers, :rockin:

I seen the methods in there i been messing with it actually what one od i choose lol because im still trying to figure out terminology, yeah some reason my water numbers dont make senes im at -6gal on my sparge amount lol...

So lemme get this right for a all grain brew day i would add grain to correct temped water to reach the correct temp mash temp, then let it sit for a hour the water amount should be around 1.25 quarts to 1 lbs of grain correct? then i collect my first runnings after that hour and see how much i collected then add the diffrence then devide that by 2 and run 2 sparges? am i thinking about this right?

Yea that's it pretty much bang on! The rackers calculator can give you a pretty close strike temp...usually around 165 and adding the grain should reduce it to the low 150's. A few ice cubes or a pint of boling water can be used to adjust a degree or two if needed. Mix the grain real well and give it several / 5 minutes to reach a stable temp before you even think of making adjustments.:mug:

here is the recipe i intend to make does the numbers make sense...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Oatmeal Stout
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 33.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.2 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.2 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.3 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
2.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 45.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 165.8 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 3 steps (4.42gal, 1.47gal, 1.47gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Latest posts

Back