rock DME and a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aschecte

Brewtus Maximus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing long enough I should know better and for that matter probably have this answer but I don't. I have to make a starter for a Bohemian Pilsner I am brewing tomorrow and I need to make a starter this morning. I go to grab my 5 lb bag of DME and it's like concrete. yeah moisture got to it. so I have a hard lump of dme...... question is #1 do I just scrape it use a chisel and use it as is or is there a better method ? I use DME so infrequently that is why this happened and I guess my other options though I never used it before would be to use priming sugar for the starter. IDK what are everyones thoughts ? I don't think the DME is bad per say just Rock at this moment and is obviously getting boiled anyway. thanks.

Had the same problem recently. The advice I was given and seems to work was just take off what ya need crush it as best you can and use like normal.

mikescooling said:
I wonder if you could use the blender or food processor.

Probably could break a chunk and run it through the modes until its powdered down again but all said it will dissolve in the water anyways.

What came to mind first was rock hard brown sugar. Micro waving the sugar will soften it, but brown sugar has molasses. May not work for DME. Use a hammer or hammer and chisel to get the weight you need. Put it in a pot with your water and dissolve it at a low simmer.

Hard rocks in a processor will destroy the machine.

yeah I watched a few youtube video's and it seems that a spoon or fork just running it back and forth will break it up or I could use a hand grater.

Back