Any tips pointers or advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/
Gonna tackle this tomorrow I think. I have a blond that is ready for cold crash and kegging so I have a big s-05 yeast cake... The recipe is for 6.5 gallons.. I may scale it back to a 5 gallon batch.. or hell maybe I will just do the 6.5 to make up for hop sludge.. will definitely need a blow off if I do though....

Also the First wort hops.. do I drop those in as soon as I start collecting in the boil kettle?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/tits-up-imperial-ipa-3-time-medalist-2-golds-1-silver-92914/
Gonna tackle this tomorrow I think. I have a blond that is ready for cold crash and kegging so I have a big s-05 yeast cake... The recipe is for 6.5 gallons.. I may scale it back to a 5 gallon batch.. or hell maybe I will just do the 6.5 to make up for hop sludge.. will definitely need a blow off if I do though....

Also the First wort hops.. do I drop those in as soon as I start collecting in the boil kettle?

Yes.

I usually just toss the hops in the boild.. no bag or strainer I also usually just let em run right into the fermentor. With this I think it may be too much gunk. gonna try to strain it as it goes into the fermentor..... never had any luck doing that though...always clogs up before I am even close to being done.

I usually just toss the hops in the boild.. no bag or strainer I also usually just let em run right into the fermentor. With this I think it may be too much gunk. gonna try to strain it as it goes into the fermentor..... never had any luck doing that though...always clogs up before I am even close to being done.

From what I understand its not a big deal. Ran into this issue this past weekend and everyone on here told me that you can either give the beer a little longer to sit in the fermentor or do a cold crash, but don't fear the chunks.

yeah like I said I generally just run em right in.. I cold crash everything..... another issue is I just looked at some notes for a big barleywine I made a couple years ago ( still havent opened the first one yet ... saving it for my 50th birthday I think) Anyway 25 pounds of grain and my efficiency was only about 55% according to beer calculus.....I might use the same recipe but just make a 5 gallon batch....ugh...what to do.

Just stuck this bad boy in the ferment room.. everythuing went off without a hitch except I was 4 oz short on carapils so I subbed in crystal 20 ( thanks to those who responded to my desperate plea for help) And when I figured up my water vol;umes prior to starting my sparge water was 4.5 gallon /2.. I wrote 4.5X2 so I heated up way more water than I needed but I caught my idiocy before I actually put it in ....hit 1.084 and have NO IDEA how much actual beer made it into the fermentor.. with all of the hop gunk and yeast cake the carboy was almost running over. I attached a blowoff and am sure I will have a big mess in a few hours.

You can mash with hops as well,ive had a good expeience with fwh,it seems to give a nice mellow refined hop presence.I would like to try mashing with as well as hopbursting or even torpedo-ing even though i dont quite know what that is really(i forget)

Back