What yeast for strongish IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
Hello all. It is snowing up a storm here in DC today and I am about to embark on my first strongish IPA! I have several yeast packets to use and am wondering which might be best and how much? I have Nottingham, Safale 04 and US-05, 2 of each in my fridge. I was originally planning on using Nottingham but since this has a potentially high OG and 7% ABV I wondered if 2 packets might be needed or ...?

Here's the recipe:

Canadian honey malt 0.25 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 60L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped
Light D.M.E. 3.00 lb
Light malt extract 6.60 lb at flameout

Cascade 1.00 oz, Whole, 5 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes
Centennial 0.50 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Warrior 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

British Ale yeast 1.00 unit, Yeast, Nottingham
3 gallon boil, 5.5 gallon batch

Ferment 7-10 days, dry hop Cascade pellets 1 oz 7-10 days secondary

Recipe Gravity: 1.073 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 66 IBU
Recipe Color: 12 SRM
Estimated FG: 1.018
Alcohol by Volume: 7.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 5.5%

Nottingham X 1 or X 2 or something else?

Steve da sleeve

I like 05 for my ipa's, but you can't go wrong with notty as long as it's a good pack. I do something on those size batches that gets scoffed at, but it works. I split a package (I have a very accurate jewelry scale) and reseal with my food saver. So it's a package and a half.:D

This looks geared toward a American IPA with your hops. If you are wanting to use dry, I would use US-05 and 2 of them or make a starter. Also, is this is a IPA would would raise your IBUs above your OG, ie: above 73

I also have 4 small (7 gram?) packets of Coopers yeast. Maybe one 05 and one Coopers (I don't have a jewelry scale!)

I have just started experimenting with Nottingham. I have had others' brews made with it that are neutral. Either the Nottingham or S-05 are fine. If you're fermenting at a lower temp, go with the nottingham, it's extremely cold tolerant. One packet with be fine of either. Make a starter. It's not required with dry, but it's simple. Sanitize a microwavable container, put in 1 cup water and 1 tbsp DME/LME, cover in sanitized Ceran wrap (sanitizing the Ceran wrap may be my own OCD), and microwave for 2 minutes. Cool down to RT and toss in the yeast a good 2 hours before planned pitching (I normally start the yeast when I start the boil). Use a sanitized tbsp to stir it and O2 it every 30 minutes or so. You probably don't even need to do any of this and one pack would be sufficient. With the rising price of yeast, 2 packs is a waste.

I ended up using Nottingham (1) and raising my IBU to 70. Thanks for your help all! I am still curious about mixing yeasts - what could be problematic about that?

Back