Honey addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdirtbuggy

Reaction score
On my next hefeweizen brew i would like to add some honey and i would like to know when i should add it? and also what effect it will have on my brew. any input will be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Put it in your boil. Keep it from sticking to the bottom and burning and stir it in well. Scrape the foam off, and if its unfiltered/unpasteurized (ei, the good stuff) any bits of insect, comb and wax. It will add that nectar taste that makes mead so so good. Depending on how much you use, lengthen your primary fermentation, clearing time and conditioning time.

There are many ways to add the honey - each with advantages and disadvantages like so many things in brewing/mead making.

You can add it any time from the boil through the secondary.

If you add it during the boil you will certainly sterilize it but at the loss of flavor and aroma. You could minimize the effects of the heat by adding it at the end of the boil and just "pastuerize" it - but still loose some of the aroma with the vigorous fermentation in the primary. If you add it to the secondary you will capture the maximum flavor and aroma but run the risk of infection. Some mead makers argue that (quality) honey is fairly "sanitary" to begin with. The high specific gravity of honey along with stuff the bees add makes it bacteriacidal/static which along with the alcohol and acidic environment of your already fermented beer should be adequate. Also in your favor is that your honey-hefe should be consumed quickly - thus minimizing the risk of infection from prolonged storage.

Like JimC said you will need to increase your fermentation and conditioning time as honey is slower to ferment.

Honey ferments completely so if you put a lot in you may end up with a drier final product than you want.

honey malt will give you a honey flavor in the beer. Honey tends not to as much, but will boost the abv. I recommend using both :)

Back