Extreme brewing Kiwi Wit..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note that the raspberry puree crap tastes very good but it is a MASSIVE mess in the fermenter. Next time I use that it is going in a fine mesh filter bag. I must have lost 3/4 gallon to suspended junk and it still isn't pouring clear. It is drinkable now but still looks like crap.

This is why I have always used whole fresh fruit. I am kicking myself now...

Note that the raspberry puree crap tastes very good but it is a MASSIVE mess in the fermenter. Next time I use that it is going in a fine mesh filter bag. I must have lost 3/4 gallon to suspended junk and it still isn't pouring clear. It is drinkable now but still looks like crap.

This is why I have always used whole fresh fruit. I am kicking myself now...

That's odd. I've never had a problem with using oregon. It's always compacted nicely at the bottom after a month or so.

BUMP...was going to brew this this afternoon. Does anyone know if adding a couple kiwis to the keg after chilled will help the kiwi flavor come out more? Im ok with just a little kiwi flavor. I just want to taste it.

If you're using the recipe from Extreme Brewing, then you need to add the same amount, if not more. I add them to the fermentor instead of the boil pot. I noticed that after a week in the fermentor, it didn't have much kiwi flavor, if any. I just leave the fruit in primary for 3 weeks and it tastes great. Just did a Kiwi Strawberry that turned out fantastic.

I did do the one in Extreme Brewing. I did it as called for with about 4-4.5 lbs of cubed kiwi in a mesh bag at the end of the boil then dumped them out of the bag into the primary. So what your saying is to add the same amount again, but after a couple days in the primary??

No. If you've already added it, don't add more. I prefer to not boil them, but that's just a personal preference. I feel like they add more flavor.

Even after a couple of years and many brews under my belt this beer is still one of the best I have ever made. It is a great summer time brew and I am looking forward to getting another batch going very soon. Thanks for everyones input. This is a beer worth brewing for everyone!!!!

Back