Hefeweizen w/ Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmbigda

Reaction score
I am brewing a Hefe and am using said yeast. My question is:

I've heard that this style/yeast combo is best fermented when the pitch temperature and the ferment temp. add up 30 degrees Celsius. Can anyone speak to this? If it's true, what combo works best?

Any temperature suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Bryan

I'm not quite sure how this would work... I think better in F. So, this would be roughly 86 deg F. I'm assuming you want to pitch close to ferm temp. In that case, you would be pitching/fermenting around 43 deg F??? That doesn't seem right.

I might be missing something or misinterpreting.

Bryan,

I'm making the same beer with the same yeast as we speak. I'm hoping it will be close to the Bavarian Hefes I had in Germany this spring.

I'm pitching at 54 F and fermenting at 62 F (the 30 C rule in Farenheit).

This rule comes from the book "German Wheat Beer" from Eric Warner and will balance the clove and banana flavors from the yeast.

I've heard of this before, Jamil is a supporter of it. When I use 3068 I usually pitch at 65 and just let it go but I hear it does well cooler and since I'll be doing one thi winter I'll probably let it go in the low 60's like you.

Bryan,

I'm pitching at 54 F and fermenting at 62 F (the 30 C rule in Farenheit).

I have been using WL380 with this same temp guide and it gives great balance to the esters. I also harvest slurry and pitch that via Mr Malty guidelines and still have great flavor balance.

The clove is thought to diminish to a more vanilla flavor as the beer ages (from Kaiser in a thread on ferulic acid (4VG precusor) and the clove flavor in wheats over in the science section.

Can anyone help me out with this rule, should i keep my yeast starter at 54F until I pitch it into my 62F wort? Is there any need to adjust the temperature of the wort or is it fine to pitch into 62F wort and keep it at that until complete?

Can anyone help me out with this rule, should i keep my yeast starter at 54F until I pitch it into my 62F wort? Is there any need to adjust the temperature of the wort or is it fine to pitch into 62F wort and keep it at that until complete?

Old thread, but I'll give you my thoughts on this yeast. I pitch at or close to the ferment temperature I want. For me, the two biggest influences in getting the yeast flavor you're going for with this yeast is pitch rate, then fermentation temperature. Over pitch and I get a spicier, more clove profile. Under pitch and I get strong banana flavors. The temperature also adds or accentuates the flavor. I was recently going for a more spicy hefe so I over pitched and fermented on the cooler end for this yeast and it came out with just the right amount of clove spiciness I wanted. I have pitched without a started and fermented on the warmer end in the past and I got a very strong banana/bubble gum flavor, not my favorite. I've also under pitched and fermented cool, still too much banana for my taste. This is probably more info than you wanted, so just to reiterate, I prefer to pitch at the fermentation temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer to make sure fermentation gets going, but I'll pitch and soon start cooling it to the fermentation temperature I want.

Old thread, but I'll give you my thoughts on this yeast. I pitch at or close to the ferment temperature I want. For me, the two biggest influences in getting the yeast flavor you're going for with this yeast is pitch rate, then fermentation temperature. Over pitch and I get a spicier, more clove profile. Under pitch and I get strong banana flavors. The temperature also adds or accentuates the flavor. I was recently going for a more spicy hefe so I over pitched and fermented on the cooler end for this yeast and it came out with just the right amount of clove spiciness I wanted. I have pitched without a started and fermented on the warmer end in the past and I got a very strong banana/bubble gum flavor, not my favorite. I've also under pitched and fermented cool, still too much banana for my taste. This is probably more info than you wanted, so just to reiterate, I prefer to pitch at the fermentation temperature. Sometimes a bit warmer to make sure fermentation gets going, but I'll pitch and soon start cooling it to the fermentation temperature I want.

Are you saying you keep the yeast starter at the fermentation temp? I was referring to that temperature, I always try to pitch into wort that is close to my desired fermentation temp.

Are you saying you keep the yeast starter at the fermentation temp? I was referring to that temperature, I always try to pitch into wort that is close to my desired fermentation temp.

From what I understand, you do NOT want to shock your yeast. That produces Bad Things. So it would make more sense to have your starter at your desired PITCH temp and let it rise to fermentation temp.

As for the rule, keep in mind that cold=clove & hot=banana. So if you pitch cool you get the clove and then let it warm up to get the banana.

Sorry, first day of vacation for me and it was still a bit early this morning when I replied. I wasn't clear on that. I do try to have my yeast and wort at close to the same temperature when pitching.

Back