Quandry- do I go 7.5 Conical or 14.5?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutch101st

Reaction score
I am not sure which to do...the Blichmann 7.5 or the 14.5 Fermenatior? I am not up to doing 10 gallon batches (yet but will in a year or two at the latest) and will have to get a MLT that will handle that amount of grain. But I can do 8 gallon batches if I needed to.

So what should I do? I can afford to do either...what would YOU do if you were in my shoes?!?!

Well, you can do a single batch in a 14.5, but you cant do a double in a 7.5, easy choice imo.

_

If you can afford to do either, go for the bigger fermenter. Especially if you plan to increase batch size in the near future.

However, if you are just looking for stainless fermenters, and not necessarily a conical, think about just fermenting in Sankes. That's 15.5 gallon capacity, $30-$60, SS, and all you need to ferment in one is an orange carboy cap.

Just my $0.02.

I would keep in mind your temp control. Does yours support a 14.5 gallon Conical? If so, hell yah go with the big one :)

I would keep in mind your temp control. Does yours support a 14.5 gallon Conical? If so, hell yah go with the big one :)

That would be the defining issue. A 7.5 conical will fit in a fridge, but the bigger one will not. If you have a walk-in temperature controlled room/area, then get the bigger one! If you don't, you'll need the smaller one.

I have a fridge that I ferment in...I am fairly certain that both will fit but I do need to measure for sure....it would mean possible removing the bottom bins (vegetable crispers) from the bottom.

Keep em coming, all good suggestions...won't go with a sanke tho...not a fan of that as I like being able to get my hands into things to clean or at the very least be able to see what needs to be cleaned.

Back