Stainless braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not familiar with that stuff in particular, but I have used a stainless braid from a water supply line that you can get at Home Depot / Lowes as a braid for a mash tun... Works so far...

Has anybody ever used this stuff for making Mash Tun manifolds?

https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prod=SS&prodline=ES

I made a copper manifold but I think I made the cuts too wide. Grain slips through quite a bit. Im thinking of wrapping the copper manifold with stainless braid.

wrapping your current manifold with a stainless braid would work pretty good I would think.....

I used to use braided hose for my mash tun but I found I was much to heavy handed in stirring my mash during dough ins and quickly destroyed my manifold a few times...... so I just went with a stainless false bottom and have been happy ever since.... if I had a rectangle or square tun I would have went with copper pipe....

I use a loose SS braid as the manifold in my mash tun. It works well unless you disturb it enough while stirring. Sometimes the tail can wind up near the top and needs a good poking to get it back near the bottom.

I agree - slipping one of these over your copper manifold might solve the issue of large holes.

I use a 1/2" piece of copper that I drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes in it. I slipped the larger braid over it, like the ones used for hot water heaters. I screw it into the coupling inside my cooler. It runs the full length of my 100qt extreme cooler. It works awesome. I have perfecly clear runoff and no slow sparges. I love the fact that it can't get caught up in my stir tool that goes in my cordless drill. :tank:

Back