Pumpkin Ale/Cold crashing/Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
I have Yuri's thunderstruck in primary right now with wlp013 London Ale. It has reached attenuation and I am looking to transfer to secondary soon (week or so) to get it off all of that pumpkin trub. Since the london ale yeast is low flocculating can I cold crash the primary, transfer to secondary and let it come back to temp?

If youre racking to a secondary simply to get it off the pumpkin I would cold crash when you are done in the secondary itself. By cold crashing it, racking it, then letting it rest in the secondary you have essentially ridded the beer of the vast majority of yeast. This means that little yeast will be available to improve the beer. This is my take on it anyways.

good point. I think i'm anxious to get it out of there, if anything just to see my yield. I filled my nine gallon bucket with 8 gallons of wort. In time I can figure out how much actual beer i'll get. this is my first pumpkin beer.

Did a pumpkin ale earlier this month. We put libby's in the mash for the first time with the style and check it yesterday morning (~21 days in primary) and it is still hazy as all hell... but it's at FG and has been sitting there a few days.

So we decided to try using gelatin for the first time. Followed BMs instructions found at gelatin-finings

This morning the beer was crystal clear. Give it a shot!

what amount of wort into the fermenter? how much beer out? I'm just wondering how much of my eight gallons of wort will make it into bottles. I did ten pounds of oven roasted pumpkin in the mash. It'd certainly be nice to know logistics-wise, as this will be the first batch in a while that I have to make a bottle purchase. people lately suck about getting my bottles back to me!

If you want to get it off the trub you could. I don't blame you. I brewed this on Sunday and I will be racking to a secondary much like you are planning. I would simply rack to the secondary if the SG readings are consistent. If it were me I would let it sit in secondary for a few weeks. You could then add the gelatin a couple weeks before you bottle (I believe this is when you add gelatin but not sure).

We actually added the gelatin to the secondary as we would priming sugar to a bottling bucket, then just racked on top of it while it was still hot. It really only takes a couple days and sometimes, in our case, even less.

bhatchable, 4.5 gallons were put into the fermenter (damn pumpkin in the mash held on to a lot of liquid) and there is currently ~4.25 gallons in the secondary with a super compact cake < 1cm thick at the bottom. My "expert opinion", which is based off of absolutely nothing, would be you'd get 7.5 gallons out of your 8 gallons. But really, that's just a rough estimation

Back