hard cider , think i messed up 3 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullcross

Reaction score
1 month ago i pressed some apples and put the juice in three 1gallon demijohns with airlocks , now i havent touched them as i thought it was still fermenting , i guess the fermintation has passed ( has not been aggressive at all throughout)

if it is savable when should i rack it into second containers and should the airlock remain or should it have a stopper instead?

i had added campden tablet in the first 24 hours and then added yeast 24 hours later.

if it is ruined does it have any use or should i bin it and start again?

atb and look forward to some answers for this noob :)

I must be missing something here. I can't find anything in the op that would ruin a cider. Why do you think you might have?

I am assuming that you added some yeast sometime after the second campden tablet? Is the gravity at a proper post fermentation level?

the reading was 1060 which i was happy with , ive just been reading some other posts and i didnt realise fermintation can take up to 10weeks for primary !!

i may do a secondary racking in the morning if the levels are below 1005

I bet if you take a hydro you'll realize your fermentation is long done and over with. If it's clear "or not clear and you dont mind" bottle it up and drink it! I've bottled many ciders after 3-4 weeks with no problems.

Back