Sierra nevada pale ale clone fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewerB

Reaction score
Brewed last Sunday at a OG of 1.052. No signs of airlock activity after a week and yes I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I pitched the wlp001 with no starter at ~75* :-/
Should I....
A) crack open and take a gravity reading and risk oxidation
B)add a pack of Us 05
C) wait it out and let it do it's thing
Thanks!

After a week is a good wait.

I'd vote A 1/2) Open and look for signs of fermentation (krausan ring, yeast floaties, bubble film, etc.) If yes, close lid and C. If no, A. (Minimal risk of oxidation-- no more than you are going to do when it's done) If reading is lower than o.g. C. If reading is same as o.g. B)

At least that's what I think. Others?

i agree with woozy.
take the gravity reading, oxidation risk is extremely minimal. if you don't stir it up you're not adding oxygen. if there's a krausen ring, you really don't need to worry. taste it, smell it...no rotten eggs or other nastiness and you're probably fine.

I'm assuming you're in a bucket. I usually will put a strong flashlight up to the lid (pointing down) and can see the kreuzen ring (if it is there) without opening the lid. I'd do that, then at least I would know if fermentation happened.

I am in a bucket and I just did your trick by looking under a blanket with my iPhones LED light shining through and I see krausen ring!
Must have just been a leak I guess?
It' didnt get as tall as my IIPA right next to it but I think that's just due to higher alcohol + white labs San Diego super yeast. I just cracked the IPA open to dry hop right into the primary and there were yeasties floating around but looks healthy and smells great

Sounds good. I think every yeast acts different, and every recipe, and the temp will affect it as well. I've got 2 buckets with the same brew that had different sized kreuzen rings, even with the same yeast, same temp, and same recipe. I guess i'll have to wait to see if they taste any different, but when I dry hopped the other day they both smell awesome.

Latest posts

Back