Stuck Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
11 lb LME
1.5 lb Crystal 30L
0.5 lb Cara-pils/Dextrine
1.0 lb Light Brown Sugar (Added at last 15 min)

2.5 oz Amarillo @ 60 min
3 oz Amarillo @ 15 min
2 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
2 oz Amarillo @ 0 min
2 oz Amarillo Dry Hop for 14 days

2 pkgs of US-05

OG: 1.087
SRM: 14.4
IBU: 107

My friend and I brewed this recipe sometime ago and now in the secondary the fermentation is stuck at 1.020, even after pitching additional yeast. Should we go ahead and bottle? It's been about a month since we brewed it.

Well, you shouldn't ever get a stuck fermentation in your secondary because you shouldn't transfer to secondary until you reach your FG.

If there is any sediment at the bottom, I'd try swirling that up and warming things up a few degrees if you're under 70. You may have to pitch a little more S-05 to get it restarted.

With 2 lbs of Crystal malt + the generally lower fermentability of extract, I'd call this one done.

You're at 77% attenuation, which is quite good for this strain.

Bah, I didn't notice the high OG and all the LME. Yeah, that could well be done. If you pitched the second pack of yeast in the last week or two, I'd give it another week before bottling just to make sure it settles out.

Back