Bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
Is there any reason a cleaned and sanitized liquor bottle (ie Jack) can't be reused to bottle mead or cider?
Can I reuse the screw top or should I try to find an appropriate sized cork?

A screw top will let air and bacteria in, so it is no good for the long haul. Are you using the Jack bottle just for aesthetics or because it is what is available?

As long as the closure seals, and there is no carbonation going on, use any container. I started bottling with 12 oz longnecks, moved on to champaign bottles, then to 2 liter plastic soda bottles. (2L bottles usually prompt an amazed look when the question is: Want a beer!) Someday I'll use the 5 gal soda kegs that I bought.

If you are unsure of the seal, try the cork, or 1 or 2 layers of plastic "saran" wrap under the screw cap.

i've been reusing screw top wine bottles (which is 90% of wine here). as long as the seal isn't damaged (or missing!) they seal up fine. i've had no leaks at all.

Back