Added yeast but its still not bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michibrewer

Reaction score
I am making a IPA from a kit and i added the yeas after i got it to temp in the carboy. Then i dry hopped at that point with fresh hops do you think that messed the yeast up?

Need a lot more details. What kit/recipe did you use. How long ago did you pitch the yeast, what type of yeast did you use. What temp was the wort when you pitched the yeast. Did you take original gravity readings that you can compare to your current gravity reading?

And no, the hops should not have messed up your yeast, typically you dry hop after fermentation has completed.

Am I understanding correctly that you added the hops before fermentation even started?

WHile it won't screw up the yeast it will effect what was supposed to be the dry hop as the fermentation process will pretty much negate the flavor and aroma desired from the dry hopping process.

Dry hopping is to be done once fermentation has completed. It can also be done in primary or secondary for anywhere from 3-14 days (There are lots of threads you can read about duration) then package to achieve the freshest results.

It was Brewers best IPA
I PITCHED THE YEAST AT 70 DEGREES MY OG WAS AT 1.105 WHICH IT SAID IT SHOULD BE 1.061-1.065
ANYTHING ELSE OHH YEAH IT IS AT 64 GEDREES RIGHT NOW

I have to ask the same question,what temp did you pitch at? What yeast? And dry hopping is never done before/while pitching yeast. You can't speed some things up,least of all in brewing. The hop oils will coat the yeast cells & go to the bottom with them. That's why dry hopping is done after FG is reached & the beer has settle out clear or slightly misty.

It was Brewers best IPA
I PITCHED THE YEAST AT 70 DEGREES MY OG WAS AT 1.105 WHICH IT SAID IT SHOULD BE 1.061-1.065
ANYTHING ELSE OHH YEAH IT IS AT 64 GEDREES RIGHT NOW

Your OG was way off because you did not get a good mix between the top off water and the wort which tells me you did not aerate the wort well at all which translates to a longer than necessary lag time which will create stress on the yeast.

On the plus side, your fermentation temperature is pretty spot on so be patient and it will take off. The unknown is still regarding your addition of the hops at the wrong time.

Michibrewer said:
its bubbling now can i dry hop later now?

IMO you should allow the beer to fully and completely ferment. When you check for FG in about 14 days take a taste and smell and see what you think. If you feel the need to dry hop then you can go for it at that time.

I agree, wait till it is done fermenting then taste it before adding any more hops.

Back