Mead Help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpuf

Reaction score
Hi,
I just began collecting ingredients for my first batch of mead. Since it's my first, I opted to use a very simple recipe. Problem is the recipe is a bit short on details, so I'm hoping you fine folks can help fill in some blanks.
The recipe calls for yeast nutrient, but doesn't specify how much. I found the stuff at the hbs, but the term "yeast nutrient" seems so vague, I worry there might be different types or concentrations. I hope I'm just over thinking this.
Also, would I be wise to oxygenate the wort? or just shake to airate?

Medium dry mead

15# honey
yeast nutrient
irish moss
wyeast 3632

1month primary
4-6 months secondary

Any advise, tips, tricks or feats of alchemy would be appreciated. (honey is Fing expensive!)

You use YN at 1 tsp per gallon.

How is your 15 lbs of honey packaged? I get mine in gallon jugs. I think that come to about 12 lbs.

Have you ever tasted mead before? To many it's an acquired taste.

Depending on what alcohol percentage you want your recipe to turn out you could split the honey and make two different batches. I do. The alcohol percentage is still up there, just not as overpowering. More along the lines of a medium strong wine. Something to think about since it is so expensive.

How much did you pay? I get mine for $20/gal.

I also recommend the Barkshack Ginger Mead from Papazian's book...if you like ginger that is.:D

I've only done three meads so far, and actually, none of these are finished yet. However,I believe the Wyeast packet has yeast nutrient inside, so you should be ok for your primary. It probably wouldn't hurt to add maybe 1 tsp. when you rack to secondary. Be careful when adding nutrient to an actively fermenting mead., It's likely to foam up quite a bit. I found that out the hard way. I suggest racking half, then adding the nutient, stir a bit, then finish racking.
If you have the means to oxygenate, I say go for it. Otherwise, just aerate as best you can.
Good luck!

Honey I bought comes in 5# jugs for @$7.00 each.
No, I've never tried it before, but SWMBO said she'd like to try it, so who am I to argue?

Back