Can I use leftover from cidery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyserhound

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
I acquired 5 gallons of leftover cider from a cidery (is that even a word?). Apparently, at the end of each batch they throw out the stuff at the bottom, which is what I've got. It's real thick and starchy tasting. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendation for what to do with the stuff.

I'm going to refrigerate it and see if any of the sediment will settle so I can rack to another carboy. Can I cut it with water to thin it out? Will fermentation clear it up? Do you think it will retain the starchy taste? thanks a lot!

--Matt

If it really is very starchy perhaps you could add some Beano (amylase) to try to break down the starches into some more simple sugars. But, I think the whole Beano additive is better in theory than in real life from what I have read on here.

If it were me I would just ferment it now and let it clarify during fermentation. By letting it ferment you will reduce the risk of spontaneous fermentation will get a more predictable cider by avoiding the spontaneous fermentation. By the end if it's not clear enough for you you can try clarifiers to help it out.

However, it's hard to give great advice without seeing or tasting it. Additionally, it's hard for us to start with poor ingredients and make an exceptional drink but the yeast seem to have a knack for it. Obviously it's better to start with great ingredients but this might turn out great.

P.S. Welcome to homebrewtalk.

Thanks monkey, seems like a great forum.
I left the cidersludge in a plugged up carboy in the fridge for a day and half now and it has settled some. A little more than half is cider color, while the rest is camelskin tan color. I'll probably just rack the top part and work with that. I'll check into beano if it's still got the starchy taste.
Hopefully it will turn out well as i can get this stuff for free!

Latest posts

Back