Northern Brewer - Hopquila - Tequila IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeritageHD

Reaction score
Anyone brew this before? If so, how was it? It seems like an interesting brew but I'm wondering if it really needs the conditioning time like the bourbon barrel porter for everything to mellow out.

This is most likely going to be my next brew. Unfortunately I probably won't get to brew again until the holidays are over though. I am also interested in seeing some results from this brew....I love tequila and beer, so it should be really good!!

I just bottled Hopquila Robusto about a week and a half ago. Used 6 oz of $30/bottle tequila, pure agave, and the tequila isn't overpowering, but it has enough of a presence to take center stage.

The base recipe is pretty solid with plenty of Mosaic, and so far I have been happy with how it turns out. Had one last night to see how it is coming along, and I think it should be pretty good in a couple of weeks.

I'm still a beginner brewer. I chose this kit because it sounded interesting, consisted of two of my favorites, DIPA and Tequila. Bottled on 1/11 after 3 weeks Pri, 2 weeks Sec. I sampled this weekend, 2 weeks after bottling. There was very little carbonation, but the taste was great. I'm crossing my fingers that the carbonation will come around, and looking forward to consumption. I moved the bottle conditioning to a warmer location, from 69 to 72ish. Hoping that helps. Advice/feedback is welcome!

I'm getting ready to brew the Hopquilla. Well something similar anyways. Can you tell me your OG, FG ABV and bitterness with this brew?

Thanks,
Craig

If you have carb issues crack em open add more sugar and recap it and wait for 1-2 wks....backup plan would be to keg it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm getting ready to brew the Hopquilla. Well something similar anyways. Can you tell me your OG, FG ABV and bitterness with this brew?

Thanks,
Craig

I'm still new to this and think that either my refractometer calibration is off, or my eyes are misreading, but I measured at 18.0 Original Brix (1.071 OG per seanterrill formula), and 7.0 Final Brix (1.087 FG per seanterrill formula). Recipe called for OG 1.074, no FG specified.

I'm not sure how to quantify bitterness, but it tastes smooth, just very little carbonation after 4 weeks in the bottle. I'll like it if carbonates. I'm hoping that since its a big beer, it's just going to take longer, and require patience that I don't have!

If you have carb issues crack em open add more sugar and recap it and wait for 1-2 wks....backup plan would be to keg it

That's what I'm thinking as well. I was also suggested to crack them open and drop a carbonation pellet in, smaller dose since I added priming sugar.

I'm kicking myself now for not doing a yeast starter. I didn't know how at the time, so I didn't. Since then I did a starter for a Black IPA, and wow... I will always do a starter going forward. So easy that its a no-brainer!

I had access to an experimental that Oskar Blues made. It was Gubna (their imperial IPA) that was aged in a tequila barrel for 6 months. Certainly made for an interesting taste

I'm fermenting this similar recipe now. Its been in the secondary for 2 weeks and I just added the dry hops and 6 oz of 1800 Tequila. The brew is crystal clear, yummilicious and has a gravity of 1.012. In 5 days I will start bottling.

Oh my.....I just cracked open a bottle after only 5 days of conditioning.....This is one of my best. Without a doubt, this is a serious keeper. Enough braggin' about it and back to drinkin' it

Oh my.....I just cracked open a bottle after only 5 days of conditioning.....This is one of my best. Without a doubt, this is a serious keeper. Enough braggin' about it and back to drinkin' it

What flavors are present? How does the tequila blend in with the beer ?

I just brewed this beer. I let it sit in primary for 8 days and 7days in secondary. I then bottled. Drank 1 after 14 days to see where it was. It tasted pretty good with a good head on it, but I want to wait another week or so to see how it develops after this. It is hoppy, but not over the top.

I'm fermenting this similar recipe now. Its been in the secondary for 2 weeks and I just added the dry hops and 6 oz of 1800 Tequila. The brew is crystal clear, yummilicious and has a gravity of 1.012. In 5 days I will start bottling.

I started at 1.066 and ended at 1.010 fg. I also used 1800 for my Tequila, I added 8 oz. though. I really can't notice the Tequila much, maybe it's just me. It is a great beer though. It is hoppy, but has a great taste.

this seems really low on hops to me for being a IIPA. 6oz total?

also, would you think it could be done as a DME and not a LME beer? I hate LME for some reason.

Waking up an old thread, sorry. I wanted to make this one again for the Summer, but looks like it isn't on the NB website anymore. I looked in my stash of recipes and found an extract copy of Hopquila Robusto, but can't find the all-grain version. Some searching found this one, and it looks right to me, but I was hoping somebody here had made it and could confirm. Thanks!

Ale Abacus - Recipe

Back